Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,036   Online: 904

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You all are suprised by long BO times when the company just layed off 50% of their workforce? Do ya think they layed off the bosses? Nope, I am sure they layed off the guy who processes the order, packs it, and ships it.

As far as having analog skills, there is a reason I never entered photography as a professional. I didn't want to be at the mercy of that industry in 1986, and I don't want to be there now. Of course, they are still trying to outsource my Software Engineering position to India now. Good luck.

Analog photography should remain a hobby for years to come, but I sure don't want to have to make a living off it.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim you are not alone in the outsourcing to India. Williams Sonoma announced to their employees last summer that they were going to save millions (short term) by outsourcing half the IT department. Thankfully hubby is above the line of those losing their jobs. Then the company was surprised that the people losing their jobs started looking for new ones. Many left as quickly as they could. Now they can't hire anyone for the jobs since the word is out that it would be a temp job for only a few months. When the graffiti showed up in the lobby by some of the disgruntled workers, they had to do damage control quickly. Supposedly they have been guaranteed a job at IBM who has the new contract to go to work for IBM. Yeah right. The job would probably be for IBM in India. Long term it is a stupid move. The company is too use to making changes when ever they want. With this new contract, the changes cost double, and are on the IBM time scale not the companies. It will in the long term to save millions cost them 10's of millions to maintain what they have now. So much for the long term.

When all is said and done, weren't companies working just fine before it became profits at any expense type mentality? When some analyst on wall street decided that a company had to make x amount of increase in profits or their stock was down graded and the word put out that they were failing. didn't matter the company grew and made a profit, it was just not the profit the wall street suits wanted to see. Ok rant over. My heart goes out to those at Ilford and this time of year. It is extremely hard no matter wat time of year, but this one is more so.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Yep, people are buying Ilford products...and they are now difficult to find. I 'phoned Ilford the day I heard about the receiver, and they told me that they 'are taking orders, but not sending out any deliveries'....read into that what you will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hogan
    Yep, people are buying Ilford products...and they are now difficult to find. I 'phoned Ilford the day I heard about the receiver, and they told me that they 'are taking orders, but not sending out any deliveries'....read into that what you will.
    That would sound like they are filling the order books to make the company more attractive to a potential buyer. In which case they don't want to suppy too soon or they will empty the order books again?

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know a few tidbits regarding Ilford Imaging GmbH Germany - they had to file for insolvency because they ran out of money, too.

http://sw-magazin.de/swmag_frame_aktuell.htm

Due to unknown reasons Ilford decided to reorganize the European supply system - a new logistics center is to be installed in the Netherlands with 40 hubs in Germany. Ilford asks his customers (the shops) not to order directly from them but from those hub retailers, larger shops doing the distribution on lower scale.

Instead of a 24h delivery service down to the single customer they now try to keep a solid stock of goods at those hubs....

Sounds like a bit of chaos... let´s talk about it in 4 weeks from now - I´ll keep my eyes open at Photokina (next week)...
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    All of this is of course speculation which, while personally therapeutic, solves nothing. However, if Receivership in Britain is anything like Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in the USA, it provides protection from creditors while reorganizing. In other words, suppliers of raw materials to Ilford need not be paid. I suspect, therefore, that the fundamental reason product is not being shipped is that no one is willing sell Ilford the raw materials to manufacture it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cook
    I suspect, therefore, that the fundamental reason product is not being shipped is that no one is willing sell Ilford the raw materials to manufacture it.

Not so, I spoke to Ilford on Monday of this week and was reliably informaed that the plant is running as normal and I did report this in APUG
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hogan
    That's one of the standard "Suit" strategies here in the USA when the Suits are looking to unload a company.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Although Ilford say they are still producing, local photo shops can't get hold of it. They don't know whether this is because of people stocking up on it or because production is down. My local Jessops told me that an Ilford rep told the last year that they were going to stop doing chemistry 'as there was too much competition in a small market'. I suppose the probable demise of Ilford will be better news for smaller manufacturors. They'll have a long way to go to match Ilford for consistency, though!

Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Analog photography should remain a hobby for years to come, but I sure don't want to have to make a living off it.
    Actually, I do make a living off analog photography, and I do well because I'm a film shooter. That's very important to my clientele, who love the fact that the images are hand-developed and -printed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin