Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,176   Online: 1032

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    Actually, I do make a living off analog photography, and I do well because I'm a film shooter. That's very important to my clientele, who love the fact that the images are hand-developed and -printed.
    Yep, and your work is beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I admire anyone who CAN make a living doing this, I have many friends who do. It's just not for me. I put my photography where I need it to be, in the realm of what keeps me interested.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, I do make a living off analog photography, and I do well because I'm a film shooter. That's very important to my clientele, who love the fact that the images are hand-developed and -printed.

Cheryl,

Absolutely and you are not alone. I am (attempting) to go full-time pro and intend to aim myself at this market too (usual commercial array incl weddings etc). Analogue is definitely still there as a (small) commercial viabilty and often sought after as digital has 'taken over'. I am confident that there will be no end to analogue availability. Even if Eastern European manufacturers are never as consistent (Forte etc) the products are very good value and have qualities that I seek out (Forte Fortezo G3 is a must, as if Efke100). It was interesting to watch those looking at my work alongside that of a digitographer at a recent exhibition. Some totally ignored mine and went for the digital, generally because they wanted the latest 'tip' on papers or printers or to be able to go home and produce what they had just seen (without having to actually take a decent picture). Most bored the poor exhibitor (who was a good photographer) to tears with their digital trainspotting knowledge. Those who liked mine, liked it for what they saw. They had genuine appreciation for what a genuine fine (un digitinkered) print is, and commented repeatedly that there is so little around.

It may be a case of those left standing.....GET IT ALLLL!!!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    Absolutely and you are not alone. I am (attempting) to go full-time pro and intend to aim myself at this market too (usual commercial array incl weddings etc). Analogue is definitely still there as a (small) commercial viabilty and often sought after as digital has 'taken over'.
    One quick thought. It seems that if we continue to use analog methods, then we need to accept both its strenghts and its limitations. You can't complete with digital for turn-around time, so we need to emphasis quality first.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can't complete with digital for turn-around time, so we need to emphasis quality first.
    Absolutely true. My clients know that they will not be receiving instant proofs, and I can't produce prints with the punch of a button. It takes time.

That said, some are better at containing their enthusiasm than others.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Absolutely true. My clients know that they will not be receiving instant proofs, and I can't produce prints with the punch of a button. It takes time.
    There are still a lot of people that are more interested in quality than in time (at least I hope ). But, there is a lot of pressure. I made a concious decision to not sell photos unframed. I'm sure that it will cut down on the number of people willing to buy them, but, from my point of view I look at the unframed prints in the local galleries and they are all ink-jet prints, complete with blown highlights, etc. I'd rather sell nothing than sell junk. Just my 2c worth.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin