Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,402   Online: 1096

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

More Ilford Gloom!

I don't want to get involved in scare mongering, but....

I work in a large college here in the UK, and have just placed our start of term order with Firstcall (large uk mail order firm). Included with that order was about £2000 (yes thousand!) worth of Ilford chemicals (multigrade dev, Hypam etc.) I ordered Ilford (as I always do) to show some support, and do my little bit to keep the company on it's feet.

I have just got of the phone from Firstcall, and they can't supply any Ilford materials because Ilford are putting everything on back order, with no firm date as to when they will supply!

Now I can't wait for Ilford, we have over 200 photography students wanting to get in the darkrooms, and I have no chemicals!! So I have had to take Paterson chemicals as a replacement! And I am sure we are not the only college in the same position!

This is all very good for Paterson, but I can't see how Ilford
    are going to continue if they are loosing orders like this!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been waiting for three weeks for some ID11 i ordered at my local store and they've been told the same. Back order with no firm delivery date. I'm suprised they are doing this, you would have thought they would be grateful for every little order at the moment.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mmmm funny, indeed. Must be some new management theory being put into practice.
    The anthracite suits rule, but not OK!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe suits should carry a government health warning when you buy one?

[color=red]"WARNING WEARING OF A SUIT MAY IMPAIR YOUR ABILITY TO THINK OUTSIDE OF THE IMMEDIATE ISSUE AND CONSIDER THE LONG TERM".[/color]

Some days I'm so happy that when I finished the last job where I had to wear a suit I added it to the bonfire as soon as I got home

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paterson chemicals as a replacement! And I am sure we are not the only college in the same position!

This is all very good for Paterson, but I can't see how Ilford
    are going to continue if they are loosing orders like this![/QUOTE]

Very interesting. I run a business and I would flip at the thought of losing this kind of order. This also explains why the 7dayshop are out of HP5+. Tried to order some for an October holiday on Sunday but have received an email back saying "no stocks at present," so are taking Tri-X and Neopan 400 instead. I can't understand what Ilford are up to!

Neil.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Souch
    I can't understand what Ilford are up to!

Neil.
    Sounds an awful lot like commiting suicide
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, if they do not wake up they will have had it. Why? Simply because people will have to use other products even if in the short term and are unlikely to go back once settled into a new product which is possibly more likely to remain in good supply. It will be one way traffic!

Tom

Shooter
    127 Format
    I once worked in a company that went through a similar wobble. In that case they did find new financing, but by the time they sorted out their problems most of the staff were already interviewing for other jobs.

They're still going, but by not being strong thought their difficult times they lost a lot of resources that they never got back.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    What is the sales price of the company as advertised by Ilford? What in the way of plant and equipment would be up for sale? What is the position of the English government insofar as foreign ownership of an English company, does anyone know the answer to these questions?

It seems that this may be an opportunity to guarantee an availability of materials for our photographic community. Ilford has had decent materials over the years so it would appear that this would not require "reinventing the wheel" insofar as technology.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    What is the sales price of the company as advertised by Ilford? What in the way of plant and equipment would be up for sale? What is the position of the English government insofar as foreign ownership of an English company, does anyone know the answer to these questions?

It seems that this may be an opportunity to guarantee an availability of materials for our photographic community. Ilford has had decent materials over the years so it would appear that this would not require "reinventing the wheel" insofar as technology.
    I have also been wondering this Donald. OTOH I also ask myself why these guys never moved their operation, or at least production line to a foreign country. Kodak has been taking advantage of China and Mexico for years, decades in the case of Mexico. Let me give you a small taste of salaries here. Minimum wage for workers....$150 USD per month, recent college graduate..$700 USD per month. People with 10 or 15 years of experience, will work for $2000 USD per month. China, from what I understand, is even worse.

SO the question is, did their sales really fell 23% or was it incompetent management? I know one thing, in Mexico you could not find Ilford film anywhere but in Mexico city. They did have a "team" going from state to state promoting their ink jet papers and inks, Unfortunatelly the quality of the prints they were showing was dismal. The ink jet prints from their competitors were far, far better.

Ah, heck....I guess there is no sense on crying over spilt milk.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin