Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,779   Online: 904

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's just nuts. Huge amounts of the film I have shot is underexposed out of necessity, and other rolls were underexposed on purpose. I guess I should have thrown it all out because it just won't print "right" no matter what I do. Let's not even get into all of the outstanding photos that have been printed from underexposed film (some severely underexposed) throughout history. The idea that anything but technical perfection will result in a photograph that is not even worth printing, let alone developing, is totally absurd. If you get your jollies out of technical perfection of the craft for no specific end, then knock yourself out. But if you like making interesting and meaningful photographs in real-world situations, you cannot obsess over technique to the level at which you throw something out if it is not ideal. Technique is important, but don't let it cripple your photography.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-19-2011 at 03:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all. I'm about to get started. I've decided on 1+1 for twelve minutes.

As it relates to economy, my reason for asking was not because I was trying to pinch pennies or anything like that. I only brought it up because someone earlier mentioned that I could make it go twice as far by diluting. That seemed to contradict other things I was reading -- the statement that a pack of D76 powder was good for X number of rolls no matter how it was (or wasn't) diluted. I was just trying to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    You should ask yourself, "Is that really what I want?" & "Do I really know what I want?"
    No. I don't know what I want. But that's another day, another forum.

Thank you all again for the prompt and honest responses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have fun.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm done. The negative looks... pretty good. I haven't made a contact sheet or scanned it yet, so this is kind of tentative. There's a very slight purplish tint, but I think that's to be expected.

One strange thing. The negative seems to have some funny bends and kinks in it. Not from mishandling or anything like that. For example, I hung it with a plastic clothes pin hanging from the bottom. And the whole strip is bowed. It's hanging in a long curve, like it's defying gravity... Does this make sense? Maybe I need something heavier on the end to pull it straight.

eta: D76 1+1 12 min., Kodak ind. stop 1 min., Ilford Rapid Fixer 3 min., Ilford wash5+10+20+20 (last step with distilled water), Photo Flo 1 min. soak, hang in steamy bathroom. All chemicals at 68F.
    Last edited by bvy; 03-19-2011 at 11:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The bend is normal and mostly go away once the emulsion dries.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haha, go back in time and shoot some old film or get an old roll. Then you'll know 'bends' in film, wanted to curl up into a tight roll as soon as you took the clips/weights off. Honestly I'm amazed by modern film, it sits so flat we're really fortunate. Glass neg carriers were not optional back them IMO...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also put your negative sleeves under some weigh (I use books). Keep a few days and they will be very straight and easy to print and s*an.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can put a clothes pin on the end when it's drying to pull it tight.

As for your process, you only really need 30 sec in stop, I'd up your fixing time to 5 minutes, followed by a short wash, then you want a washing aid (Heico Perma-wash) for 2 minutes. I'm assuming your wash sequence is not for running water. If it is, that's way too long. Running water wash 5-10 minutes.

Glad your negs came out good!

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Again, thank you all. Least I could do was share some of my results, I thought. These unfortunately are scans; I feel the urge now more than ever to get an enlarger. I've already started scouring Craigslist. Meantime, these are about as unmanipulated as I could get them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img073.jpg   img063.jpg   img083.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aw, hell. Nothing to worry about. I would push as a matter of course in that type of light! You actually got better negs by making your mistake than if you had done everything "properly."
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin