Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,633   Online: 996

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Identifying old sheet film found in holders

I wanted to pass along a way of identifying by notch code old sheet film found in holders which one may from time-to-time come across.
    Notch codes are sometimes unfamiliar and hard to discern by feel in a dark bag, so in the dark bag place along with the film and holder a pencil and a piece of paper, and by placing the film sheet against a support like the film holder or box, make a rubbing and voila you have an exact image of the notch code to then look up somewhere on line.
    The film is pretty resilient and not likely to scratch, which is much more likely in the wet processing end of things.
    -Jon Archibald

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good tip. And I'll go one further. Since it's tough to see in the dark use a crayon instead of a pencil. Less risk of damage to the emulsion.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quite agreed Chris. What I meant, but didn't come across with, was to put the bit of paper between the film and the pencil, like what people do to gravestones of the rich and dead.
    Best regards,
    Jon A.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin