Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,906   Posts: 1,630,514   Online: 924

Shooter
    35mm

Help! Senior show Lith Print won't work at size 20x24

Cheers!

I am a student that has been learning about Lith printing this past semester. My school's department is not very encouraging of any aesthetic outside of their narrow focus of the medium, and have been teaching myself alternative processes for the past year. It's time for my Senior Show and I have been Lith printing my infrared negatives on small sized paper from Oriental and Foma. They've been coming out beautifully. For the show I was to go up to size 20x24 and ordered the same exact Oriental VC at that size. I also tried some old Kentmere, Ilford and Kodak Fine-art that was stored in the studio. None of them would Lith at that size. My negs don't work that big for traditionally printing and am being told to resort to digital prints. PLease Help if you know why Lith printing that big won't work or if you know a paper/chemistry combination that does! I'm using Arista Developer now. Thanks!

Best,

Rhea

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What kind of not printing are you getting? Is it that infectious development is just not occurring, or is it some other problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much exposure adjustment are you making going from small to big?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In a pinch, go back to the Foma MG.

The Oriental you might have been working from may have been the old stuff. New stuff will not lith. The Kodak Elite will lith, but it is fickle.

I have favorites, but if something needed to be lithed right now, it would be on the Foma MG classic. Most predictable.

As mentioned, when you print that big you are trying to pump a lot of light through a small negative, and exposure times must go way up. Way, way up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you even read the responses in the thread you posted yourself the other day?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/8...t-working.html
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Did you even read the responses in the thread you posted yourself the other day?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/8...t-working.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +2 but to make things quick, seems the larger 20x24 stock is not the same paper as the smaller size. I know some of the Oriental papers are rebranded from other manufacturers so I would not be shocked if the 20x24 is not remotely the same source paper as the smaller paper you have. Or a major reformulation...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two papers that are consistent and always work in lith:
    Ilford MGWT semimatte or glossy
    Foma Fomatone Classic 131 (glossy) or 132 (matte)
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin