Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,899   Online: 929

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Acros + Formulary TFX-2 Test

I haven't been able to print much lately so I have spent some time testing a film+developer combo to suit certain scenarios and for when I want to fully exploit resolving power of some of the newer Leica glass. The way to go would normally be to shoot slow film but I am looking to be able to enjoy fine grain (when and if needed), great acutance, micro-contrast, and pleasing tonalities, without sacrificing speed and being able to shoot hand-held in most situations. Sort of sounds like the Holy Grail. I love Acros and I am looking for stand/semi stand process to to get some edge effects, nice sparkling highlights and a nice, long scale negative that can print itself.

This is a bit of a work in progress, but at least here are some example for those who are interested, since there isn't a lot of data out there for this. As always, by no means interpret this as undisputed gospel or a source of endless arguments, because it isn't. This is what I (myself) have gotten and I certainly encourage anyone to test on their own and exploit new possibilities.

I'm not big on tests using strips and the likes, so I'm basically blowing a bunch of rolls, taking pictures and going with the flow, while still having some fun.

Acros @ ISO160, Leica M3, 135mm Tele Elmar - all metered with a Gossen Digisix Pro incident meter and a 021 filter on the lens.

PF TFX-2 - 20ml solution A + 25ml solution B in 500ml stainless reel/tank @ 68 degrees. 40 minutes, with 4 inversions in 5 seconds at the start and 2 inversions every 8 minutes. These were high contrast scenes, with harsh midday lighting and I will test with lower dilutions and/shorter times as well.

So far, one test with dilution of 15+15ml in 500ml, for one hour and 2 inversions every 10 minutes, resulted in some uneven development so, contrary to what the Formulary says, I have my reservations that TFX2 can perform better than Rodinal in a highly diluted mix, even semi-stand.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TFX.jpg   TFX-5.jpg   TFX-2.jpg   TFX-4.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For many years Leica toured about demonstrating their lenses. Their developer of choice was Ethol TEC which is still available by the way.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    For many years Leica toured about demonstrating their lenses. Their developer of choice was Ethol TEC which is still available by the way.
    Thanks, Gerald. I think it is now made in a single solution but have not tried it. From what I have heard though, its shelf life is extremely short, as it has to be refrigerated and apparently it goes south fairly quickly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That's true about Ethol TEC -- I bought a bottle from Freestyle a couple of years ago and has essentially expired by the time I got it.

Of course, I had the same thing happen with a bottle of DDX.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    That's true about Ethol TEC -- I bought a bottle from Freestyle a couple of years ago and has essentially expired by the time I got it.

Of course, I had the same thing happen with a bottle of DDX.
    I guess it works in a high volume (school/demonstrations, etc) environments but for us mere mortals it's probably not worth the trouble. DDX is not quite as bad but I also don't use it often enough to justify buying it. At the end of the day, that's why Rodinal and HC110 still rule. I do like glycin based developers for certain applications though and TFX-2 seems to have good shelf life and it certainly performs well.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post

Acros @ ISO160, Leica M3, 135mm Tele Elmar - all metered with a Gossen Digisix Pro incident meter and a 021 filter on the lens.

<snip>
    So far, one test with dilution of 15+15ml in 500ml, for one hour and 2 inversions every 10 minutes, resulted in some uneven development so, contrary to what the Formulary says, I have my reservations that TFX2 can perform better than Rodinal in a highly diluted mix, even semi-stand.

What do you think?
    This is an old thread, but I'll respond for anybody coming across this message...
    I believe it is in error to dilute developer without at least a minimal amount of concentrate to handle the quantity of film being developed. I believe this is standard. So, if 15+15ml in 500ml is the ratio you wanted to experiment with, I think you'd be better served using the same ratio, but with more volume.
    For example,develop that same roll of film using 30+30ml in 1000ml, and use a larger developing tank. you can use empty reels as spacers within the tank. This would provide the same weak dilution your desire, yet still have the minimal amount of concentrate-per-square-inch-of-film to handle the job.

I, too, am about to experiment with TFX-2, PMK, PRESCYSOL EF, and Microphen. (I'm abandoning XTOL now that it is a discontinued product)
    I'll be playing with dilutions, and with varying agitation schemes.

good luck in your endeavors
    Last edited by garacha; 11-17-2012 at 11:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct spelling

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by garacha View Post
    (I'm abandoning XTOL now that it is a discontinued product)
    XTOL has not been discontinued. That was a false rumour started when B&H's website wrongly claimed it was discontinued. It's being sold by B&H here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...owder_for.html
    And by Freestyle here: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/875175...o-Make-5-Liter

Mark Overton

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin