Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,011   Online: 904

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Batteries...? We don't need no stinkin' Batteries!! "

Wrong! Batteries are useful in light meters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was under the impression that the film (&paper?) business of Agfa was sold rather than gone. Does anyone know what the new owners have in mind?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i also like kodak PFSW paper, and have also used photo warehouse's "made in england" variable contrast paper. from what i can tell, it is similar, if not the same as ilford fb multigrade. it is pretty inexpensive, and stores pretty well too. i am printing some stuff lately on some that was bought a few years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    "Batteries...? We don't need no stinkin' Batteries!! "

Wrong! Batteries are useful in light meters.
    What's light meters, precious?
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    Agfa anounced last month that they are shutting down all filmed based materials including printing papers meant for traditional image making. Someone here actually posted the statement on a prevoius thread.
    This is one I hadn't seen. I recently read a release from Agfa that said they were activly seeking a buyer for their film and paper products line. It reported their photo products division were doing business as usual. Time for me to do some more reading, I guess.
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK. It's me again. Been to the Agfa site, and it says nothing about cessation of film and paper sales. The rest is what I had read before: They sold their photo division and it will be renamed AgfaPhoto sometime in the future. The people who bought it hired 2800 people from Agfa and they intend to continue sales of film and paper. This release was dated less than a month ago.
    Anyway, go buy some Agfa FB paper. It's not "gone" as far as I can tell. It's good stuff and it's reasonable.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Those Agfa rumours are wrong - Agfa Gevaert was looking for a buyer for 4 years (failed because they didn´t want to give in the trademark) and three weeks ago a managment buyout has been announced - two or three members of the board together with an investment company formed a new Agfa Photo company - including all plants and 2600 employees.

The new company will start in late November.

So Agfa is still with us - and I believe with a decent future.... from all discussed models this is the best... they guys at the steering wheel threw in their own money and they will fight for their own good...
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here's my picks for fiber based paper...

My absolute favourite is AGFA Multicontrast Classic Glossy. I think it has the perfect sheen, wonderful tonal range and great colour. A PERFECT paper!!!!

I also love the look of the Bergger papers, though I am just becoming familiar with them. (unlike the 1000s of prints made with MCC111)

After that, I'd go for the Ilford papers. There warm tone can be nice.

Here is a vote AGAINST Kodak's PolyMax Fine Art. I've tried the glossy and find that it's too cool for my taste (I dislike cold photos and prefer neutral to warm) and the sheen has a funny look. Worse yet is the warm tone PMFA. I think the surface texture is just plain ugly.

If you can find a time machine, go back and find some Ektalure. A graded warm tone that had a very heavy woven look to it that with the right image, and selenium toned gave a wonderful brown.

Just my opinion,

joe

Images
    So far, all discussion is about variable contrast paper, and up until recently, that's all I used. Then, for various reasons, I decided to give graded paper a go. I bought a box of Forte Fortezo grade 3 glossy to use in preparation for an upcoming show.

As APUG member "Jeanne" put it: printing with this paper is like "spreading butter on warm bread". Here is the thread. Les McClean gives some great tips for varying contrast with a graded paper.

As far as cost, it's right in line with Ilford, and it's surely a blast to print with.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn

My absolute favourite is AGFA Multicontrast Classic Glossy. I think it has the perfect sheen, wonderful tonal range and great colour. A PERFECT paper!!!!

joe
    I withdraw my statement of "gone" for Agfa, to "temporarily in limbo." I agree with Joe about the wonderful qualities of MCC111FB. I printed 25 copies of one negative, then went down to my camera store to buy more. That's where I encountered the empty shelf, the long faces and the clucking and doomsdaying of the sales staff, who proclaimed Agfa "gone" as they could not get an order in for any Agfa product.

I will stand by my assessment of PMFA as the best for me, but I will entertain comments that Agfa Multicontrast Classic Glossy rates a warm second.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin