Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Success - Photographer's Formulary Reversal Kit and TMax 400 TMY-2

I wanted to share my success with the Photographer's Formulary TMax reversal kit. One problem I had was finding out at what EI I should shoot my film, so I shot and developed a test roll of TMY-2 with shots at 100, 200, 400, and 800.

I followed the directions in the kit exactly as stated, and made no changes. I used my normal process with Kodak stop/fix/Photo-flo for the end processing.

The image below is a snapshot of the results (as the film is hanging to dry), back lit with my soft box. Looking at these results, I am shooting my next roll of TMY-2 at EI 160.

I hope this helps people like me who are experimenting with the process.

--Sean
    http://blog.seancarpenter.us/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The contrast looks good.
    Contrast was one area that I had not dialed in using a homebrew following the Ilford Document.

I do plan to keep at it though.

Nice job.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about the reversal kit for awhile now but always went elsewhere. The frames apparently run right to left, so the ISO 100 frame is far right? What speed was the film, 400?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Bruce.

Wayne, the film speed is 400. I included the frame edges where you can see the exposure compensation I used on each frame - looking from left to right in the picture, the EI would be 100 (+2 exposure compensation), 200 (+1 e.c.), 400, and 800 (-1 e.c.).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,
    I haven't processed any TMY 2 in 135 in awhile.

Were you satisfied with the film base. Was there any magenta or purplish tint.

Some films have clearer base in 120 than 135 (and probably vis versa)

I know TMX in 120 was quite clear the last time I tried it. 135 TX not so good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah that's right it's reversal so an overexposed frame will come out brighter, duh. Anyways, 200 looks good to me, although I didn't see the lighting like you did. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by carpents View Post
    Thanks Bruce.

Wayne, the film speed is 400. I included the frame edges where you can see the exposure compensation I used on each frame - looking from left to right in the picture, the EI would be 100 (+2 exposure compensation), 200 (+1 e.c.), 400, and 800 (-1 e.c.).
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thank you for the results

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Sean,
    I haven't processed any TMY 2 in 135 in awhile.

Were you satisfied with the film base. Was there any magenta or purplish tint.

Some films have clearer base in 120 than 135 (and probably vis versa)

I know TMX in 120 was quite clear the last time I tried it. 135 TX not so good.
    This was in 120, and there was no cast. It looked just like the shot I posted.

I am now shooting some in 135, so I'll report back.

--Sean

HS6

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sean,
    Thanks for the post!

I've developed few films using this kit, but only the last film was good enough. But now I think I understand my mistakes.

Has anyone tried to develop simultaneously 2 films in one 500ml jobo tank using this kit? Photographer's Formulary recommends to develop only one film in 500ml. Is it important?Taras

Shooter
    Multi Format

Photographers Formulary TMAX Reversal Kit and TMAX 400 / 135

I have squeezed off a couple of test rolls now of TMax 400/135 and processed according to instructions supplied with the kit from Photographers Formulary. It appears to me that the best tonality was in a range from ISO 160-250. I would probably pick ISO 200 as the average and move up or down depending whether I was more interested in shadow detail. But regardless of the ISO the general appearance of the negative seems to be too dark, and underexposed. I have tested as low as ISO 64 which produces a very flat negative with poor highlight detail and as high as ISO 400 where most of the shadow detail is lost. If I were processing E6 color reversal I would increase the development time for the first developer for this film. So I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience with this kit and film? I tried calling Photographers Formulary but they were not able to advise. Also I am wondering if anyone has tried this kit with another brand of film? I purchased several rolls for Fomapan reversal film and wondered if anyone had tried this combination. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin