Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,557   Online: 1301

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ilford XP-2 processing????’s

I have about 10 rolls of Ilford XP-2 super left over from a time when I thought that I was not going to set up a darkroom for a long time and would therefore have to process all my film at a one-hour lab. Now I have a darkroom and the idea of letting all that film expire and go to waste bothers me. I know, thanks to the Ilford web site, that regular B&W processing is not an option. My question is this; is there a way to get some C-41 chemicals and hand process the XP-2 on my own with just a SS tank and reel or am I up a creek without a paddle?
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you can get C41 kits, but why not just get the rolls developed (only.. no prints) at a lab. Would be cheaper and less chance of stuffing it up!

Also, you can proces it with normal B&W, however the results may not be optimal (I've tried some C-41 Fujicolor for a laugh)

Images
    Nige said it all. I take the occasional color neg rolls that I shoot to my local Walgreens. I've never gotten a second glance when I say "process only".
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xp2 will actually develop fine in normal B+W Dev and fix, I have used ID11 about the the same time as for HP5 I seem to remember and it came out fine!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee
    Xp2 will actually develop fine in normal B+W Dev and fix, I have used ID11 about the the same time as for HP5 I seem to remember and it came out fine!
    I'll try that. I have some rolls left.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J. Collier
    I have about 10 rolls of Ilford XP-2 super left over from a time when I thought that I was not going to set up a darkroom for a long time and would therefore have to process all my film at a one-hour lab. Now I have a darkroom and the idea of letting all that film expire and go to waste bothers me. I know, thanks to the Ilford web site, that regular B&W processing is not an option. My question is this; is there a way to get some C-41 chemicals and hand process the XP-2 on my own with just a SS tank and reel or am I up a creek without a paddle?
    Stephen

When XP-2 Super was first introduced I wrote an article for a UK mag on an experiment that I did. I used 12 different regular B&W developers and developed both XP-2 Super and the Kodak C41 film (T400 CN I think), the results were interesting to say the least. Some developers produced rubbish but XP-2 Super dev'd in Kodak''s Xtol produced excellent negatives that printed with no trace of grain or problems. Interestingly T400 CN dev'd in Ilford's ID11 was just about the same. The article was written some years ago but I'll look it up if you wish me too for I remember doing a list of the times and dilutions which may be helpful to you if you want to try it.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    I used 12 different regular B&W developers and developed both XP-2 Super and the Kodak C41 film (T400 CN I think), the results were interesting to say the least.
    Any experience with Rodinal? I am very interested...or HC110?

greeTings Morten

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Les, please post the article if you can find it. I have lots of XP-2 to use up, but have been hesitant because of time and unfamiliarity with the chemistry.

Rusty

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    several years ago one of our students developed this film in HC110 solution B.

Took a while to figure out why this film was so strange looking; but it did print. The standard development time for HP5+ was used, with the usual stop and fixer , washing procedures followed.

I don't remember the exposure times, but since the masking color was pretty strong i am sure they were longer than the usual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used all the developers mentioned here so I'll find and post the article and I will also dig out the negatives and scan the best omes to put in the technical gallery.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin