Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,579   Online: 791

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    ... If you want to stick to sulfite, then IMHO, it would be better to mix a 2% solution when needed and discard after the printing session. So, something like 20g of sulfite in water to make 1l is fine.
    That's my modus operandi.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the answers gents. I think I'm sold on the idea of mixing my own HCA.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have been using sodium sulfite 200g/L for about a year now with great results. Before that I was purchasing Kodak Hypo Clear.

Lately for some unknown reason I am getting a white scum on the bottom of the hypo clear tray and in some cases white scum on my washed prints.
    rewashing takes away the scum but this is perplexing. I believe the problem is related to the hypo clear.

any thoughts as why this may be happening??
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    It is not at all critical. You can divide the powder.

If you want to make it yourself, you have several options, in increasing order of sophistication. These are for stock, to be diluted 1+9 for use.

One Ingredient: sodium sulfite 200g/L.

Two Ingredients: add sodium bisulfite or metabisulfite, anything from Frank's suggestion above up to 40g/L (see Richard Knoppow). The advantage over one-ingredient formula is a different pH that is supposed to optimize washing.

Three Ingredients: add Sodium citrate 4g, or according to some, 10gram. See Wolfgang Moersch's formula here

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...-any-good.html

Four Ingredients: add EDTA tetra-sodium salt 10 grams

The three- and four-ingredient formulae are either supposed to last longer in use diluted, or handle different water qualities better. The Kodak version is reputed to be the four-ingredient version.

Given Wolfgang Moersch's reputation as a photo chemist and manufacturer, I think going with his formula would be more than safe.

Straight sodium sulfite is also excellent and simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I have been using sodium sulfite 200g/L for about a year now with great results. Before that I was purchasing Kodak Hypo Clear.

Lately for some unknown reason I am getting a white scum on the bottom of the hypo clear tray and in some cases white scum on my washed prints.
    rewashing takes away the scum but this is perplexing. I believe the problem is related to the hypo clear.

any thoughts as why this may be happening??
    Dinesh adds some Beer when you turn your back !
    :-)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Just saw Ralphs post about the photo calgon for hard water , I bet that is what is giving me the grief.

He Jerry saw Dinesh yesterday,, If you could imagine a bald sasquach then you would have him... Just his looks could turn my chemistry bad.
    Also I never turn my back on him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that seems very logical. i was thinking that a mixture of different salts may be more efficient the formula is closer to actual sea water, but i have notests to back this up yet.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ralph - I ordered some Sodium Hexametaphosphate today after seeing your post , I will follow your formula, basically same as what Ian Grant proposed, but I think
    the hard water in my town lately may be giving me this result and the SH will soften it a bit if I am reading between the lines correctly.
    I can only attribute the white scum to the clearing bath as all my other chem's are tried and true for over a large amount of printing sessions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hca is about the simplest chmical to mix from scratchand a great way to get into mixing your own process solutions, just give it a try.all you need is a scale and some measuring cups.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ralph - added 10 grams of Sodium Hexametaphosphate and problem solved... Ok so what just happened I assume my water in August took a turn??

Also I added the SH in hot water and part of it did not dissolve and turned into a hard gooy mass.. should this stuff not be mixed with hot water??
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    hca is about the simplest chmical to mix from scratchand a great way to get into mixing your own process solutions, just give it a try.all you need is a scale and some measuring cups.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the Legacy Pro brand at Freestyle. Its a good product and not that expensive.

I don't want to get into a money argument with the members here, but for some of us, even a penny can make a huge difference.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin