Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,536   Online: 1161

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Notch code reference

Hi folks,

Rummaging around a closet brought to light a film holder (so that's where it went!) loaded with ... yes, well, there's the rub. After downloading a bunch of PDFs from a bunch of different mfrs it turned out to be HP5+, which I don't use often enough to remember, and which got me wondering: is there someplace online where notch codes are tabulated? Kodak does a good job with Kodak films, but understandably does not have Ilford, Agfa, Fuji, Efke, etc. Such a table would also be a nice addition to the "Articles" section here on APUG, at least for the forgetful among us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi there

i came across this address a while back, but can't remember how i found it
    i should have left a trail of popcorn or something so i could eventually find my way back to the same spot!

http://www.srv.net/~vail/notch.htm

it may not be totally complete, but it has a lot of the "big 3" ...

-john

So new FP4 is like old HP5. Wonder how many people that screwed up?

I can't point to a central source for notch code info, but I discovered this afternoon that J&C 400 and BPF200 have identical single "V" notches. I'm on my first box of each. The packaging suggests they're made by the same company. Would be nicer if they had unique notches.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sorry the link i had posted earlier is a dead link.
    i went through archive.org's wayback machine and found it again ...

http://web.archive.org/web/200302080...vail/notch.htm

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a bunch of notch codes for both B&W and Color sheet film starting on page 72 in Steve Simmon's book "Using the view camera".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've been working on the sheet film article over on Wikipedia, and the notch codes would be nice to add to the article. You guys have any idea if the notch codes are copyrighted somehow? I'm sure Agfa wouldn't really care at this point, but the rest of 'em might start throwing lawyers at the "problem".

Will

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know that the Maco IR films are very similar in their notches. The difference seems to be the depth of the notches.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm
    I've been working on the sheet film article over on Wikipedia, and the notch codes would be nice to add to the article. You guys have any idea if the notch codes are copyrighted somehow? I'm sure Agfa wouldn't really care at this point, but the rest of 'em might start throwing lawyers at the "problem". Will
    To second JHannon's suggestion, why don't you ask Steve Simmons, since he compiled a bunch of the codes for use in his book. (now slightly out of date)
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm
    I've been working on the sheet film article over on Wikipedia, and the notch codes would be nice to add to the article. You guys have any idea if the notch codes are copyrighted somehow? I'm sure Agfa wouldn't really care at this point, but the rest of 'em might start throwing lawyers at the "problem".

Will
    I don't see why there would be any problems publishing information that is in the public domain, in fact I would see that it would be a benefit to the people making the film, the other "Using the View Camera" book that was published has alot of notch codes published as well, the name of the author escapes me now, but it is also a good reference.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I don't see why there would be any problems publishing information that is in the public domain, in fact I would see that it would be a benefit to the people making the film
    I certainly agree with you, Dave. Unfortunately, "easily available to the public" and "in the public domain" are two very different things. Kodak, for instance, used to charge for the notch-code document (publication F-3, in case you're interested), and though it's now freely available from their website, I'm still concerned as to whether they consider it copyrighted info. The PDF version does say "© Eastman Kodak Company, 2004".

Heck, I should probably just send 'em an email, and see what they say.

Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin