Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 696

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Okay, I'll bite and ask the stupid question that this thread begs:

Can one (and would it be safe to) test modern fixers with Herschel's taste test?

I rather doubt it, but I'd love to hear from the experts (PE?)

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doremus;

I thought I answered that earlier. No, it would not be safe, nor is it ever safe to taste any photographic or non-food chemical. It may not kill you but it can do damage and make you very ill. The damage includes impaired liver or kidney function which might not show up for years.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not recommend tasting fixer either, since we have all sorts of other, safer ways to deal with chemicals. In Herschel's days, the body was still one of the best detector they had.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a little off-thread, but is probably the best place to include it.

Someone very close to me is ill with cancer that is being treated via hepatic infusion with the drug, cisplatin(um). During recovery immediately after the infusion, an IV of 25% sodium thiosulfate is given. You can imagine my surprise when I saw the label. It supposedly has a chelation effect on the body in helping to rid it of heavy metals, in this case, platinum, and thereby reduce side effects. The doctor was interested in hearing about its use in photography as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format

great thread...

undecided whether our early pioneers were really dumb or really courageous...

makes me wonder who was the person that licked the first frog?

Shooter
    35mm
    An old photographer friend of mine with 50+ years of experience once said that fixer (either used or fresh) would work as a strong laxative... aside from the possibility of liver and kidney damage. I guess, as always, the dosage makes the poison, so a drop or two would probably not to any damage. Tasting you chemicals over long periods of time on the other hand, is a different thing. There is a reason for all these orange warning labels. I wouldn't do it as long as there are safer methods available.

Nontheless, it is very interesting how chemists did their work at that time. And they were neither dumb nor courageous... their own body was simply the most accurate set of sensors available.

I have a very limited knowledge of chemistry, but I can easily follow the reasoning behind these experiments and how it connects to the photographic process. Most interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interestingly enough, over the years, we have found as chemists that the taste of a chemical is totally unimportant. The odor has some value. The color and the melting and boiling points are the essential factors in most cases along with other ancillary tests such as IR spectrum analysis, NMR and etc... These guys had no NEED to taste Aniline or Nitrobenzene. And, the first guy to taste Cyanide was probably the last. He reported that it was like Almonds in flavor BTW, as his handwriting faded to a scrawl and he died.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    He reported that it was like Almonds in flavor BTW, as his handwriting faded to a scrawl and he died.

PE
    Is there any truth to that or is that an old chemist's joke?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You tell us what you think. About 1 cup of apple seeds contain enough Hydrogen Cyanide to kill someone. It is safe to eat about 6 - 12 with no harmful effects. I've done it! The taste and smell are there if the seeds and apple are fresh enough. It is just like Oil of Bitter Almond, which itself is the chemical Benzaldehyde. (also the flavor of maraschino cherries)

There was a thread on this about 3 years ago. What chemicals are present in what foods and etc.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting!

Specifically I was wondering if the 'handwriting fading' bit was true.

Is it true that a strong acid mixed with potassium ferricyanide can liberate the cyanide and create poisonous gas? My brother said something to this effect and warned me to be careful.

The real question is.... who would eat apple seeds!?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin