Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,177   Online: 873

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apple seeds are quite "tasty" and I know a few people who eat the whole apple including the core.

The handwriting fading is true, but not for that story. A chemist wanted to find out how much HCN could be injected as a minimum dose, and he selected what he thought was well below the minimum to start. He began taking notes and failed to finish the page. I was told this by a professor in Biochem class. He said there is no safe dose when injected.

Acid mixed with Potassium Ferricyanide does NOT release the Cyanide gas. It requires much stronger treatment to get HCN from Ferricyanide.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post

The real question is.... who would eat apple seeds!?
    Horses
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bet a horse could eat 3 cups! haha.

You'd hate to be the one to make the discovery for lethal dose.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You tell us what you think. About 1 cup of apple seeds contain enough Hydrogen Cyanide to kill someone. It is safe to eat about 6 - 12 with no harmful effects. I've done it! The taste and smell are there if the seeds and apple are fresh enough. It is just like Oil of Bitter Almond, which itself is the chemical Benzaldehyde. (also the flavor of maraschino cherries)

There was a thread on this about 3 years ago. What chemicals are present in what foods and etc.

PE
    Which reminds me: What the heck do bitter almonds smell like? I can't buy them at the grocery store, and the CSI people keep telling me that there was a smell of bitter almonds lingering around the cyanide poisoned body (but if they could smell it, they would have probably died...).

How different is the smell from sweet almonds? Is there something available at the store that isn't cyanide with the same smell?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no difference in odor and the odor is due to Benzaldehyde.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    This is a little off-thread, but is probably the best place to include it.

Someone very close to me is ill with cancer that is being treated via hepatic infusion with the drug, cisplatin(um). During recovery immediately after the infusion, an IV of 25% sodium thiosulfate is given. You can imagine my surprise when I saw the label. It supposedly has a chelation effect on the body in helping to rid it of heavy metals, in this case, platinum, and thereby reduce side effects. The doctor was interested in hearing about its use in photography as well.
    Sodium thiosulfate, along with sodium nitrite, is also part of the treatment for cyanide poisoning. So I guess if you accidentally ingest some KCN in the darkroom, you should inject yourself with fixer ASAP!
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    There is no difference in odor and the odor is due to Benzaldehyde.

PE
    But then why do people talk of the "smell of bitter almonds" while they could also be saying "smell of sweet almonds" if there is no difference in odor?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michel;

Ask them then not me. I guess I don't know. Here the bottles are just labeled Oil of Almond.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The aroma of Extracted oils are not due to single compounds, but are usually the result of a principal component that is affected by the presence of the other components.
    Esters, aldehydes, alcohols lots of stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray;

I think that you will find that Benzaldehyde and Cinnamaldehyde are "pure" flavorings for almond and cinnamon respectively so what you state is not always true. Apples, Pears and other fruits are indeed combinations, but some are pure substances and are sold as such.

PE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin