Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,857   Online: 995

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It will also depend on the sharpness of one's technique and equipment...

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can't really go wrong with most of Kodak's flavors. I would give Plus-X 125 a try. Great, great film
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the Adox CHS25 and ORT25 for sharpness and detail. I also like the Ilford PanF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any Ortho 25 film in a high acutance developer like Rodinal, Efke 25 in Beutler A+B or FX-1 or a Copex (Agfa Gevaert) micro film (like Rollei ATP-1.1) in a suitable micro film developer like ATP-DC or SPUR Modular UR.

You will have the finest grain and when having a suitable exposure with these developers extreme high sharpness and acutance. All above films are available in 35mm and 120 roll film.

Not one iso 100 film will give you these features.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All things being equal in developer choice, processing etc, in 35mm TMAX 100 will give you the best balance of tonal scale, contrast manageability, speed, grain and sharpness. And I say that without a bias toward Kodak (although I am equally biased toward Kodak, Ilford and Fuji over other brands). TMAX is finer grained than all the 50, 100 or 125 speed films out there at this point, the closest matches in graininess being Pan F+ and Fuji Acros. It is only marginally less sharp than Pan F+, but faster, and with an easier tonal scale to manage, particularly with long scale subjects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although it is a special animal, nothing touches ADOX CMS 20 for grainless sharpness. To achieve best tonal scale, acutance and full emulsion speed, you should use their proprietary developer. It is still stupendously slow. But I have enlarged these negatives to 16 x 20 and have had a hard time seeing any grain in the grain magnifier. It is simply astonishing in what you can get in a 35mm negative, but you will need a tripod and a very sharp lens to realize the full potential of this stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sharpness: Kodak TMax 100 / Fuji Neopan Acros / Ilford Delta 100

They are capable of about 100 - 120 line pairs per millimeter of resolution at an exposure index of 100.

400 speed film: Ilford Delta 400 and Kodak TMax 400 are in a league of their own with about 70-80 lp/mm. That's actually better than Plus-X and FP4+.

When you start to make larger prints from these films, at about 16x or more, you will discover that all of the fabricated grain films have more detail. I actually get more sharp detail with 35mm Ilford Delta 3200 developed in Rodinal, at 16x20" print size, than I get from Ilford FP4+. Believe it or not, I am seeing just that.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    No film will give you good detail in the shadows if it is under-exposed. You will not have the finest detail w/o grain if your development is not correct.
    Don't rely on the manufacturer, or asking people on this or any other forum. Whichever film you choose, and you have received some very good suggestions, do your own testing for exposure index and development time in your chosen developer.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Kodak T Max100 for the same reasons stated above. I use D76 1:1 that I mix from raw chemicals a liter at a time. Xtol is also good. T Max is a push developer that gave me grainny but sharp results with really high midtone contrast. Works well in Rodinal like all low speed films. I just find D76 is a nice balanced developer, speed, grain, sharpness. Most developers give up two in favor of one.

My second choice would be Ilford Delta 100. Never used Across, but Fuji may be exiting film and I will not hitch my wagon to them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JCJackson View Post
    Although it is a special animal, nothing touches ADOX CMS 20 for grainless sharpness.
    I love this stuff, but since the OP requested no special chemistry I left it off my recommendation. I find it also works very well in Formulary TD3.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin