Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,644   Online: 847

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Looking for a sharp film.

I'm looking for a sharp, fine grain film, with good detail in the blacks. One that will get good results with basic processing methods.

I'm looking at Ilford HP5 Plus 125, but have no experience with Ilford films so I'm reluctant to buy some.

Any recommendations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try Ilford Pan F (50asa/ifo).

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelingram View Post
    I'm looking for a sharp, fine grain film, with good detail in the blacks. One that will get good results with basic processing methods.

I'm looking at Ilford HP5 Plus 125, but have no experience with Ilford films so I'm reluctant to buy some.

Any recommendations?
    What format? Pan F is not made in sheet film.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format

T-Max 100

Kodak T-Max 100 is one of the sharpest films around. Iíve experimented with new films as they come into the market. This has the best combination of speed, sharpness, smooth tonal scale and great enlargability. It has become the only B&W film I use in 35mm, 120, 4" x 5", and 8" x 10".

It can be processed in any B&W developer, but is particularly suitable for development in Kodak T-Max developer. Thatís a good combination because T-Max Developer is a liquid concentrate making it particularly easy to use. You can easily mix just enough to develop a small number of films. Thereís not need to mix the entire bottle of concentrate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelingram View Post

Any recommendations?
    HP5 Plus is an ISO 400 film. FP4 Plus is Ilford's ISO 125 film and it is very good as are most films in the ISO 100-125 speed group.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For 35mm or 120 I would have to vote for Pan F+.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Tmax-100. It's a film with fine grain, sharp, and good contrast.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Irresponsible Suggestion: If you really need to go to the wall, look for some B/W duplicating film. Really slow, most varieties not panchromatic, but astounding. Last year I was shooting often with some Eastman Intermediate film (it was pan), and I enlarged 35mm to 16x20 with no visible grain. I developed it in both D-76 and Technidol, but any differences were lost on me, so I'm sure just about any developer would work.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Fuji 100 Acros, T-Max 100, Pan-F+, Ilford Delta 100. All sharp and fine-grained. HP5+, Tri-X, faster, not so fine-grained. T-Max 400, Ilford Delta 400, both fast, sharp, finer grain than the older-technology HP5+ and Tri-X. All are influenced by developer choice, development method and exposure. Take your pick!

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try a broken dry plate.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin