Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,309   Online: 735

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Question about J&C Classic 200

I just order some Classic 200 sheet film and would like to shorten my learning curve by asking the following questions:-

a. What is the ideal conventional developers for this film? Ideally I'd like to use Rodinal or HC110?

b. Should I rate it at 100?

c. What's the starting points in tray developing times?

d. What is the characteristics of this film? Does it have better contrast than HP400+?

Any tips on how best to use this film is appreciated. Ideally I'd like to stick to just one film/developer so that I can concentrate on my shooting.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    My very unscientific observations after limited usage (2X3 & 4X5 sheet film as well as 120mm roll): At 200ASA, it is thin so an extra stop of exposure would help. Developed in Rodinal 1:50 11-14 minutes with longer times benefitting thin negs. Its a good film, but if I was going to standardize on 1 film/speed would probably pick a 100ASA such as J&C's Pro 100.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Also, does it do well with expansion & contraction? Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why do you pick ASA100 film? Thanks!

Images
    It does not do well with expansion. This is the same film as Bergger 200 and forte 200. I shoot it at 200 and 100 and I am getting some decent negs in Pyrocat. There is not a lot of expansion available but in normal scenes it looks really good. I never saw the negs as thin at all no matter what speed I shot it at.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This is the same film as Bergger 200...
    I keep seeing this. I've also seen this thread.

Is anyone else confused?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max

Is anyone else confused?
    Max,

When I first tested JandC 200 my impression was that it was a different film because the results were quite different from what I had previously obtained with BPF 200. Since then I have tested several different emulsion batches of BPF 200, and the sister films Fortepan 200 and JandC 200, and I am now convinced that they are essentially the same film. Although there is some variation in actual results from batch to bath in terms of speeed and contrast the overall curve characteristics of the three films are very similar. My opinion at this point is that the films are the same and that any differences observed are due to variations in emulsion batch, aging and/or storage conditions.

Sandy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max

Is anyone else confused?
    Sandy has the hard data I have two negs shot of the same scene metered in the same manner and developed in the same manner. On BPF 200 and Classic 200. I have no idea which is which. They are identical in every way I can see except for price.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Makes sense now - thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My impression is that Forte made significant changes at a certain point to their 200 speed film, as they later did with the 400 speed film (increasing density range significantly), so I suspect it is more an question of a single upgrade that took a while to filter down to all the different brands of Forte film than a random consistency issue from batch to batch.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin