Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,635   Online: 1197

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a great fan of Rodinal and have used it for 25 years and agree with the general view that it is inexpensive, lasts forever, it's versatile but it is not the silver bullet, no developer is. I use it when I want good edge sharpness and grain and it produces the goods for me.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I was just wondering what caused Rodinal's mythical status.
    From my experiance, just consistantly good results?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    another rodinal fan here.. just bought 5L of the stuff and i know it'll be still useable when i bite the dust...
    I like my 8x10 negatives souped in 1:25
    no grain to talk about and great sharpness.. makes your shitty lenses look good
    Its cheap...

but i really want to give HC-110 a try .. been told its very similar to rodinal..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Rodinal has achieved an almost mythical status because it doesn't really do anything wrong. It's safe, versatile, and reliable in its extremely long shelf life.
    I always spend my time trying to achieve results with anything from my audio equipment to my photographic efforts that are 'tolerable'. There might not be any real particular strength, but as long as it does nothing really wrong - it works for me. I think Rodinal works this way.
    Grain and film speed someone might say, but so what? That's just part of the characteristic and isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Use it for a while and see for yourself. Rodinal seems to be the one developer I always come back to. Been experimenting with D76, FA-1027, Microdol-X, Microphen, ID-11, but I always come back to Rodinal. Somehow.
    My next experiment will be Pyrocat HD, just to see if the contact printing becomes substantially better or not.

That's about 2cents worth.

- Thomas
    Saint Paul, MN
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't believe there is such a thing as a silver bullet and we all know how far myths are from reality. If you mess up your negative when you shoot it then nothing on earth can come to it's rescue.

Rodinal does have for me a distinctive look or signature when it comes to grain and sharpness. I love the look produced by Rodinal and I do recommend it be tried if you haven't before. At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    All I can say is that the best negatives and prints in my life were made with Plus-X and Rodinal. I use it quite a bit because I like the grain that I get and the contrast with medium\slow films. I don't like it with TMAX films as I plotted curves for it once and they were very odd with a big dip in the mid-tones.

-Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Rodinal does have for me a distinctive look or signature when it comes to grain and sharpness. I love the look produced by Rodinal and I do recommend it be tried if you haven't before. At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice.
    I totally agree! I love the look and grain of Rodinal and really use it much. At 1+50 it is great for my films (mostly Ilford Delta 100, Ilford Pan F, Agfa APX 100 and T-Max 100). Although I tend to use HC-110 for films rated 400 or over.

Rodinal is not that hyped, I think. It holds it's status because of the great quality of the negs it produces and the ease of use....and the price...

Here's the commercial:

[SIZE=4]"113 years old...give us another 113 years and we can revise the product!"[/SIZE]

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Here's the commercial:

"113 years old...give us another 113 years and we can revise the product!"
    Ehrm... You do know that the Rodinal sold today is not the same as the original? AGFA's version has been changed several times - Calbe R09 is the only one following the original recipe.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While visiting the supermarket last night I thought that Rodinal is like the old Corn Flakes, good for you, cheap, and tasty. There are many other things out there like the multi-grain-berry-banana-rama cereal, may be better than cornflakes....
    but from time to time is good to go back to the original :LOL:
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    While visiting the supermarket last night I thought that Rodinal is like the old Corn Flakes, good for you, cheap, and tasty
    And whole grain...!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin