Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,471   Online: 1186

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

Dumb rodinal question

This developer has reached mythical status. If someone has a roll of film that is unrecognizable throw it in rodinal 1:50ish and your good to go. Tough scene shoot it and develope it in Rodinal.

Is the mythical status of rodinal similar to the mythical nature of Pyro? meaning is Rodinal really up to snuff or are people just insanely devoted to it?

In a nut shell If you were to make a truthful Rodinal commercial what would it say?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    WOW! This thread might get interesting really quick! I'll be following it closely.

My $0.02. I have used both Pyro (rollo pyro & Pyrocat) and Rodinal in the past. they are two different animals entirely. I think each has its uses, but neither are the silver bullet they are claimed to be. My personal opinion. Rodinal is great because it is cheap, it lasts forever, produces sharp negatives, and so far is easy to find in stores. On the other hand I think it is way over hyped.
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I put this link on another thread recently, but it answers the point better than I ever could.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian, well stated from my point of view. Rodinal is Cheap!! and so am I..also, I like the fact it does last and in a pinch, can use it as a paper developer. Pyrocat, just started testing with it so can't say. For me it is like, stand, semi-stand, develope by inspection, etc..not a silver bullet, but tools to be used.

I like the results I get from Rodinal better than ID-11. Someone else may get better reults from W2D2, guess it is no different than Canon vs Nikon, LF vs ULF, it's about you and what works for you.

Just My Thoughts...
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    Defintely not looking for a one is better than the other argument. Both have reached a very hyped status. There has been a long discussion of the virtues and wonders of pyro, everything from increased sharpness to doing the dishes. I was just wondering what caused Rodinal's mythical status.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal has been around for 100+ years, and has been used by many many many many photographers. It is a very interesting developer, not only because it's cheap and indestrctible but also gives pictures a very "rodinal" feeling.

I used it long time ago (hwen I was learning to process myself) and I came back to it about two years or so ago, wonderful stuff with APX-100.

I think is no silver bullet, Xtol is far more advanced and even the old D76 can give you better results but Rodinal is so damn convenient.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Rodinal has been around for 100+ years,

I think is no silver bullet, Xtol is far more advanced
    Think I agree, I used soley Rodinal for over 15 years, and it's a great developer with the right films, in my case APX 100, and Tmax 100.

However I get very similar results using replenished X-tol, which is far more economic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have actually wondered if what would happen using Pyrocat-HD, 1:1:1:100 with Rodinal..and if it would bring anything to the mix. Would want to shoot at least 3 negatives, on in Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100 semi-stand, Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand and then the last one 1:1:1:100 Pyrocat-HD + Rodinal - any thoughts...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rodinal has been around for what, 100 years or so? I figure that if something has been around that long with minimal changes, the makers must be doing something right. Having said that however, I don't really think Rodinal is up to all the hype it gets from some users. Unless you are looking for that pronounced, very sharp grain effect, it is less than ideal for use with fast films. Typically you will see a decrease in effective film speed, thereby negating the reason you chose a fast film to begin with, and at high dilutions (1+50 or higher) the resulting negatives may very well be flat depending on the film. On the other hand, when used with slower films (ISO 125 and slower) which generally have more contrast, the results can be outstanding. My own experience shows that it works particularly well with, of all things, Kodak's TMax 100 and Ilford's FP4+. I've heard from others who have had spectacular results with APX 100, and the prints I've seen bear this out. Sure, the grain is more pronounced than it would be with something like D-76 or XTOL but these are inherently more fine grained films to begin with so it's not that much of a consideration. In the case of TMax 100, the more pronounced grain can actually be helpful. Even at 20x, the grain is hard to see on the baseboard and focusing can be a real pain. Like anything else, Rodinal has it's place. It is not a magic bullet that will give you perfect results every time. You can, however, count on it do do what it was designed to do every time even when it ages and morphs into something that looks like tar. For most of my film developing needs I use XTOL these days, but there are times when Rodinal is the right tool for the right job just as it has been for these many years.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    It is a very interesting developer, not only because it's cheap and indestrctible but also gives pictures a very "rodinal" feeling.
    I agree with that, there is something like a 'Rodinal thing' in the image. Hard to tell why. It's a mix of grain and sharpness and, well, just, ... a nice image.

Why did nobody mention that Rodinal is not only cheap, but also rather good, not to say rather rather good, with - indeed - apx100 for example?

I think is no silver bullet, Xtol is far more advanced and even the old D76 can give you better results but Rodinal is so damn convenient.
    Just starting with X-tol, seems to be rather amazing stuff to me. Used D76 as well, a lot in fact. And others, including PMK-pyro. For me it is very hard to tell what is 'the best developer'. That depends on the image, the light, the image you want to produce (has in mind) etc. My suggestion: try several, stick with one or two and be happy (be they hyped or not).

Paul.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin