Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,848   Online: 844

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He did mention developer recipe, suggesting a "homebrew" type.

Sure sounds like two distinct problems, negatives opaquely dark on one side and light on the other is fogging, no rebate visible and thin gray on the light side is a sign of almost "dead" developer and not as much fogging.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies everyone. You're right about the homebrewing. I've been trying things out with Caffenol-C. I know this is very experimental and what not, but wanted to know if it was light leaks or too weak/strong of a developer. That way I could fix my brew or my bag accordingly.

It sounds like it could be the brew so I'll either make it stronger or change my dev or agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My advice would be to try a developer that you can purchase. A bag of D76 will only be a few dollars, and could help you solve your problem quickly. It could be gross underexposure, gross underdevelopment, or a combination of both.

Keep the D76 around until you have gotten the activity of your Caffenol up to snuff.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Doesn't Caffenol require a 30 minute or so developing time?

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess i'll try that then. At least that way I'll know if it's my developer for sure. Trial and error and a little bit of know how.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by N467RX View Post
    Doesn't Caffenol require a 30 minute or so developing time?

That's caffenol. I was using caffenol-c. It adds vitamin c to the mix which speeds up the dev process. One problem I could have is tht my vit c might not be pure enough which would make me need a longer time than I used.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Supposedly it has to be pure ascorbic acid, the vitamin C sold in most stores has a bunch of additives, which may impact negatively the results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    My advice would be to try a developer that you can purchase. A bag of D76 will only be a few dollars, and could help you solve your problem quickly. It could be gross underexposure, gross underdevelopment, or a combination of both.

Keep the D76 around until you have gotten the activity of your Caffenol up to snuff.
    Would I need to buy a special container for d76?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4strinbass View Post
    Would I need to buy a special container for d76?
    One or more empty, cleaned out and clearly re-labelled plastic beverage (soda pop or tomato juice) bottles make great containers for darkroom chemistry.

I use these (inherently Canadian as they are):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clamato-juice-large-bottle--2632-p.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    All what the Kodak document says is

Store stock solutions in tightly closed bottles. Solutions in
    full bottles have a longer shelf life; partially filled bottles
    allow some oxidation of the solution.

So my best guess is that you don't, but you might wanna get glass marbles or those collapsible bottles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin