Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,202   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

HP5 400 Faint image, no rebate

Hey everyone. I'm developing 400 ISO HP5. All my negs (two tries) have resulted in faint images. The numbers that tell you the film brand and ISO rating and such don't show up on the film strip's rebate.

I don't think it's my recipe or my dev time because the film name would develop in the rebate along with the faint images wouldn't it? I'm thinking it might be a light leak in my changing bag.

My negs are grey with extremely faint images in the light and only on one side
    The negs are not transparent anywhere, light doesn't pass through at all
    The rebate doesn't appear

Can anyone help me out?

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    How old is the film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by N467RX View Post
    How old is the film?
    The film's not expired. Expires next year.

Shooter
    35mm
    I found slits cut into my changing bag from my scissors being in it. It's 17x17 so there's not much space inside of it which makes it a bit hard to move in, hence the slits from the scissors.

Could the light that could've gotten in done this? I'd imagine if light ruined the film the whole thing would be pitch dark, but it has those extremely faint one sided images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film rebate is exposed at the factory. It will show up with normal development even if the images are faint. This sounds like a case of insufficient development or perhaps exhausted developer. Are your chemicals fresh? If they are then what developer are you using and what is the time and temperature? Not enough agitation may also play a part in this. Light leaks in the changing bag or camera would cause very dense (black) areas in the negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    so you can't see the rebate markings because either:
    - your negs are clear: developer is broken; or
    - your negs are black: you got light on them before development.

Sounds like the latter case; the edge markings would easily be overwhelmed by bad fogging, which it would be if you can't see through any part of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds more like dead or dying developer, with a tad bit of fogging from cuts in changing bag.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exhausted developer if the film base is clear.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Had the same problem a while ago while trying out a new developer, usual cause of faint images and light edge markings are 1.. Gross underdevelopment, where either developer is very over diluted or developing time is way to short,or 2.. the developer, if you are not using a 1 shot developer, the developer is exhausted, try either checking the dilution, check and if needed increase the developing time or simply, if not a one shot, use fresh developer, also check the temperture of the developer, if it is lower than 20 then you would need to increase developing time,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 4strinbass View Post
    My negs are grey with extremely faint images in the light and only on one side
    The negs are not transparent anywhere, light doesn't pass through at all
    The rebate doesn't appear
    I think there almost have to be two different problems. "Not transparent anywhere" suggests fogging, perhaps from the slits you found in the bag---but that wouldn't make the edge markings disappear, nor should it render the actual images thinner. (They might look thinner against a fogged base than they would otherwise, but it sounds like you're talking about something more extreme than that---even if the fog were cleared out, the images would still be much fainter than normal, right?)

So I'm thinking something wrong in the development---exhausted developer or a mistake in workflow---independent of the light leaks. If I'm right, fixing the light leaks will give you a clear base but still with the faint images.

You didn't say anything about the developer---what is it and how are you using it?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin