Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,958   Online: 936

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infrared Look

Shooter
    Multi Format

Infrared Look

I seem to remember from the dark pit where my brain should be that using a Polarizing filter and Red filter together with a standard black and white film produces an infrared look.

Does anyone remember anything like this or have experince of trying it?

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Red and Polariser together will give you the dramatic skies associated with infra red when there are white clouds in a blue sky. From memory I think you need to allow about 5 stops in compensation for the filters. You can further increase the contrast by under exposing and increasing development which will probably increase the grain.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Les I'm in your debt once again. I'll give it a try as soon as we get some good light and a sky full of clouds which could be anytime with the weather conditions here at the moment.
    Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    I seem to remember from the dark pit where my brain should be that using a Polarizing filter and Red filter together with a standard black and white film produces an infrared look.

Does anyone remember anything like this or have experince of trying it?

Tony
    I've used the combination as an emergency neutral density set and have never notice any infrared enharncement. So I think the short answer to this is a simple no!
    As Les says the use of these two filters together will dramatically darken blue skys, but they will not effect green in the same way that infrared film does.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    As Les says the use of these two filters together will dramatically darken blue skys, but they will not effect green in the same way that infrared film does.
    Dramatic contrast yes, but I canot visualise the 'bleaching' effect on the greens.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's "kinda" an infrared effect but it depends on the light. To me, it's more of an interesting night-time effect that can be done at noon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Really depends on what you're shooting -- skies, foliage, people... To test, shoot some bracketed color frames with the polarizer, drop them into photoshop (or similar) and examine the individual RGB color layers. Do any of them look sort of like what you want for this subject? Then using that as a guide choose an appropriate filter and tweak the development is whichever direction you feel would be most appropriate (for an IRE look, go grainy and contrasty). Of course, by the time you're done testing you might have had time to scare-up some proper IR film

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bjorke, discribes how I've created faux B&W IR effects from digital RGB files.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One note on the red/polarizer combo.In my experience at least the polarizing effect with a wide lens is not consistent over the whole sky so the sky may not be uniformly black.Of course alot has to do with the position of the sun-usually at 90 degrees is best.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks for the additional advice everyone. Les did say the combo should give me "the dramatic skies associated with infra red when there are white clouds in a blue sky" and not mention foliage btw Since I made the posting we've had nothing but flat light around here but when I have the conditions I'll give it a try and see what happens. Might even pick up a couple of real IR when I have the change as Bjorke suggested

I'm trying to stay away from PS as much as possible which is why my neg scanner is up for sale in the other forum (shameless plug warning - any reasonable offers considered btw folks ). From now on it's flatbed of my wet prints only to post up here and to finally get around to updating my tatty site LOL
    Last edited by TPPhotog; 09-25-2004 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: my keyboard can't spell ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin