Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,578   Online: 889

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither metol nor ascorbic acid are considered to be staining developers. In fact ascorbic acid cannot produce any polymerized phenols because it does not contain a benzene ring.

I am still waiting for the OP to defend his formula. Does the formula produce any image without the metol and the ascorbic acid?
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-08-2011 at 10:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After due consideration, I would have to say that if any of the ingredients in mintol are couplers, then a colored image could form imagewise by coupling with the oxidized Metol. This would enhance density and at the same time impart a "stain" of sorts.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    After due consideration, I would have to say that if any of the ingredients in mintol are couplers, then a colored image could form imagewise by coupling with the oxidized Metol. This would enhance density and at the same time impart a "stain" of sorts.

PE
    An interesting idea. There is an easy way to determine whether this is true or not. That would be to bleach a negative and see if there is a stain image.

On the down side, I am beginning to dislike the idea of eating Frisk mints more and more as time goes by.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-09-2011 at 02:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The dye formed may be so unstable that it vanishes in a bleach. That may be a problem with any definitive proof.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still I think its worth a try. Anyone out there with access to Frisk mints who wants to experiment?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I still I think its worth a try. Anyone out there with access to Frisk mints who wants to experiment?
    Do you want me to send you a box?
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 05-10-2011 at 10:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Neither metol nor ascorbic acid are considered to be staining developers. In fact ascorbic acid cannot produce any polymerized phenols because it does not contain a benzene ring.
    What about Phenylalanine (2-Amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid) as the source?
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 05-10-2011 at 10:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    What about Phenylalanine (2-Amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid) as the source?
    Hi Ray,

Sorry phenylalanine is not a developing agent either.

Thanks for the offer of Frisk but I'm not able to do any wet photograpphy at the present time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jerry,
    OK, let me know if that changes and I will send you a box
    (you can eat them if they don't develop!)

BTW
    What sort of "test" would you suggest?

re phenylalanine:
    I wouldn't think it has to develop on its own in order to produce an image wise stain.

If you can think of a simple rough or "field" test just to see if there is a stain produced or not I guess I could...
    I just don't want to spend too much time thinking about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was thinking that a few exposures could be developed in "mintol" and after fixing remove the silver with Farmer's Reducer. If there is any stain image then it should be visible. The inclusion of ascorbic acid in the original formula would actually decrease any possible stain image.

Since the metol may also produce a weak stain image in the absence of sulfite this effect must be tested for by omitting the Frisk tablets in a similar experiment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin