Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,930   Posts: 1,522,187   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

ILFORD PAN 400 pushed to 1600 in R09. How Long ?

hello, hope that's the right place for questions .. Does anybody know how long should I develope with R09 an ILFORD pan 400 pushed to 1600 ? I cannot find the info on the official instructions of R09 or in other threads .. And I cannot figure out a pattern to follow through developing times . Ilford pan 400 pushed to 800 should be allright in 1+25 for 8 minutes, so maybe 11 minutes ?
    Is there a kind of formula to follow to have the correct time or it's just guesswork? Sorry I'm a newbie
    I know that rodinal it's a poor choice for pushing, but it's what I've got at the moment .. should I wait and use something else ? Many thanks

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I haven't heard of Ilford Pan 400. Do you mean HP5+?

1+25 : 1600 = 12mins
    1+50 : 1600 = 24mins

from the "Rodinal / R09 ONE SHOT" list pdf supplied by macodirect.de. I think this list a crib from the The Massive Dev Chart. It's got all the RO9 times you could need. www.digitaltruth.com

Should you use another dev? I'm sure other people will say yes and then it depends what you are trying to achieve. I use HP5+ in RO9 at 1+25 and found that the film needs 5s agitation every 30s to prevent 'so-called' bromide drag or underdeveloped areas on the film.

But people have used this combination you can see it and other ideas about HP5+ at 1600 here:

http://filmdev.org/recipe/search?search=HP5+1600

Here's a very nice example at 1600 done in RO9 1+25:

http://filmdev.org/recipe/show/5948
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 05-08-2011 at 07:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a 135, I think it's available for certain markets only, a kind of budget equivalent of the HP5+

THanks for the link to the massive dev chart, I've found this:

Ilford Pan 400 R09 1+40 21 min for 400 ISO

I'm still puzzled, first of all the list on my bottle of R09 gives me only 1+25 and 1+50 dilutions, not the 1+40 above .. and if 21 min is advised for 400, sounds like I'll need a day off to develope with the pushing! Should I stick with the HP5+ times and crossfingers ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen Ilford Pan 400 mentioned before but thought it was a c41 b/w film like XP2
    Perhaps this is am Asian market product?

I wouldn't select R09/Rodinol for pushing but thats me.
    I know some probably like it and are adept at semi/stand developing and probably get the look they like.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the Neopan CN is the one for c-41 .. I'm on my first trials and errors, that's why I still cannot figure out precisely how a difference in time / dilution will affect the final negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, okay my bad.
    I was thinking of the c41 neopan.

Do you have any d76 or xtol maybe? I'm thinking if this stuff is a budget HP5+ it will be grainy in Rodinol, especially with a 2 stop push.

I've used Microphen for for some higher rated film like Neopan 1600 rated at 800-1000 but wasn't real crazy about initial results but I'm sure that was my inexperience with the combo.

Generally I've seen recommendations of 15-20% extra time for each stop pushed as a starting point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not HP-5, but that would be a place to start, that and the Kentmere 400. I wouldn't go with a rodinal type for a push but some people like it. I would look at a number of 400 speed films and see what the average percentage increase is for the push and go with that. Scene specific testing would be the only way to be truly precise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    at the moment i only have R09 .. anyway grain is not an issue .. I think I'll go for 30% extra time (28 min in 1+40) even if sounds like a loong time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    30% for a two stop push is not unreasonable, it may be on the short side but extended dev can only go so far. Sounds like a safe approach.

Shooter
    35mm
    To clarify, is the question about "Calbe R09"/"Fomadon R09" or is it about "R09 One Shot"?

If the OP isn't aware, after the demise of Agfa, the chem division and naming rights were sold a couple of times. So, bottom line:

- "R09 One Shot" (also known as "Adonal" or "Blazinal", depending on where you live) is exactly the same formulation as the pre-bankruptcy Agfa Rodinal
    - "Calbe R09"/"Fomadon R09" is essentially an earlier formula of Rodinal, which was actively produced in the former East Germany even after the western Agfa changed theirs.

They have different dilutions and times per film, which can be quite confusing. So, if you have "R09 One Shot", depending on which charts you are looking at, it might be easier to just look up times for "Rodinal". If, however, you have Calbe/Fomadon R09, then you would look up times for "R09" itself.

That said, if you have the time but don't want to experiment with the film, I really like semi-stand development with Rodinal 1+200, agitate for 30 sec. (5 slow inversions), leave for 1 hr, agitate again for 30 sec, leave for another hour, dump, stop, fix, wash. It develops any film to completion, so it will work for Ilford Pan 400 as well.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin