Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,637   Posts: 1,648,289   Online: 1168

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

35mm Develop by Inspection ... or too small?

hi there

i have been developing my sheet film by inspection since i read michael smith's article a few years back. but that is sheet film, and i have been shooting a some roll film ( 35mm & 120 ) these days and want to do the same thing to make sure i get "everything right" .

i am going to process each roll alone in a small tank - and i was going to just pour the developer out put the film in a water tank and flick the switch ... anyone have experience developing smaller format films by inspection?

any insights would be very helpful

thanks ( in advance )!
    john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    hi there

i have been developing my sheet film by inspection since i read michael smith's article a few years back. but that is sheet film, and i have been shooting a some roll film ( 35mm & 120 ) these days and want to do the same thing to make sure i get "everything right" .

i am going to process each roll alone in a small tank - and i was going to just pour the developer out put the film in a water tank and flick the switch ... anyone have experience developing smaller format films by inspection?

any insights would be very helpful

thanks ( in advance )!
    john
    That will work only if further development is not required. Exposing unconverted silver halide will form a latent image which will, upon further development, become completely black on fixing.

If the development is to your liking, and further development is not required, you may get by with just a little fogging and/or staining. Fixing should remove all the undeveloped halides converted or not.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The old timers articles I've read say what you need is - a desensitizer bath, a green safelight, a pair of scissors, and lots of practice. They were past masters of clipping off frame that were done and re-dunking underdone ones. If you get the courage and/or the curiosity to try it- good luck and let us know how you make out.
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

hi John,
    I do 120 negs in pyro this way. I turn off all the lights, take the top off the tank, pull out the reel and unwind the first 2 or 3 frames. Then I hold it behind my back while I flip on the safelight, quickly look at the first 3 or 4 frames, flip off the safelight, rewind the film on the reel, and put it back in the tank.

I can't imagine doing 35mm this way, but 120 isn't bad, expecially if you've had a lot of experience with sheet film & know what you're looking for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    By freaky coincidence, I just posted in another thresd about this. Salgado's lab folks are indeed reputed to develop his 35mm negs by inspection

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks for all your replies !

i don't think i am coordinated enough to clip and redunk
    i can barely clip my strips to put in negative files <g>

but i think when i get a chance i will process one roll at a time and make believe it is sheet film ( look at a few frames under the green light ) and keep going if i need it ...
    thanks again for the heads up about the lab bjork ( i'll check out your thread )

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    That will work only if further development is not required. Exposing unconverted silver halide will form a latent image which will, upon further development, become completely black on fixing.

If the development is to your liking, and further development is not required, you may get by with just a little fogging and/or staining. Fixing should remove all the undeveloped halides converted or not.
    dr.bob -

i know this will happen with a conventional red safelight, but i have never experienced fogging when i have used a green/inspection safelight ..
    kodak does not recommend DBI anymore ---maybe this is why...

thanks for the warning

- john

Images
    I have heard that pyro developers desensitize film so that there is less chance of fogging.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    dr.bob -

i know this will happen with a conventional red safelight, but i have never experienced fogging when i have used a green/inspection safelight ..
    kodak does not recommend DBI anymore ---maybe this is why...

thanks for the warning

- john
    Thank YOU! Maybe I'll give it a try with my "new" efke 4x5. Gotta get a green light though - never had one.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    dr5 used to offer development of negatives by inspection as a standard service. Dr. Wood is on APUG and they are sponsors, so you might ask him. I think they may have been using infrared inspection.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin