Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,358   Online: 771

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Haha, uh, could I get some help?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I may have been too harsh, but how long does it take to iron the kinks out of it, and why this fascination with coffee developing agents? For one thing the amount of developing agents in coffee varies widely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi 4stringbass

i never make this developer without the vit c just because
    it works much better ... i have also increase the amount of
    vit c to be about 1/2 + a little bit more of the
    amount of of vit c compared to washing soda, so for example
    instead of 1/4 tsp i would use a little more than 1tsp for your recipe.

did your developer fizz / foam when you finished with the vit c ?

what "brand" coffee are you using?

i have reduced the heavy stain by soaking in wash-water for an extended period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4strinbass View Post
    I'm using:
    5tsp of coffee
    2tsp of soda
    1/4tsp of vitamin c

There's no fog on the C negs. Only on the Caffenol negs but that's expected.

I read one guy got the same result from C and said he fixed it by fixing the negs longer.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been developing film since 1965 and I'd never heard of caffenol developer until I joined this forum but them I'm not very adventurous with photo chemicals. I've tried many different commercial brews over the years but I'd guess that 75% of my films have been developed in D76.

Good on those who discovered this technique and those who want to give it a go - what an absolute gem of kitchen table chemistry! It's not often that everyday household ingredients can be cobbled together to replace a commercial chemical product. Is it true that it works best with the cheapest instant coffee? If so a decided victory for the proletariat!
    OzJohn

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey jnanian,

My developer did fizz when I added the vitamin c. I'm using folgers caffeinated instant coffee.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 4strinbass View Post
    Hey jnanian,

My developer did fizz when I added the vitamin c. I'm using folgers caffeinated instant coffee.
    I use folger's instant too.
    But I almost forgot - what film is this (sorry if you already listed it)? I recall that there were one or two films which for some reason just don't develop well in caffenol - so that is a possibility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hey 4strings

i totally agree wiht denverdad
    you should check out and read both
    the caffenol blog and read
    the caffenol group at flickr -
    while i have used caffenol for a number of
    years i don't have the experimental experience the
    some of the science-related caffenol junkies tend to have.
    you might be able to glean from what you read ( from others
    who had the same problems ) or ask questions and get answers.

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-09-2011 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience with Caffenol, specifically Reinhold's recipes (http://caffenol.blogspot.com/), has been interesting. I found that some films just do not work well with it while others are great with the general trend being that it's good for low/medium speed films but not so good for high speed ones. The variable of coffee also adds complexities in establishing consistent and repeatable formulas. Consider the recipes a starting point and be prepared for some experimentation. Incidentally, if you can source Metol and/or Phenidone, you can use them in place of coffee to make more "standard" developers. This would give you the flexibility to use Caffenol-C where appropriate and use Metol/Phenidone + Vit-C developers for other situations while minimizing cost and chemicals.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford Delta 400

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could the addition of rose hips be an issue?
    Sunny 16 works for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin