Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,660   Online: 1016

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    4stringbass

how are you developing your film
    pre-wet for a few mins ..
    then the 20mins agitate for the first min and then 10seconds every min ?

i think the vit c is OK ( rose hips are a form of vit c from what i have been told )
    and it fizzed so that is good ...
    you might cut your development a bit if you are getting heavily over developed film. or strip your film of its density with some sort of bleach ( like farmers reducer or another )

with the caffenol-c film you might try to make contact prints from them .. and you might
    like the results ...
    i sometimes have negatives so dense i can't see through them, and i either make sunprints
    on regular photo paper and scan them or contact prints with a 300watt bulb
    and process the prints in regular developer. you can use your caffeonol c as a print developer
    as well, even after you have processed film through it ( its not 1 shot )
    it takes about 2x the time for prints to appear but it works fine ...
    the sun prints take a little time for the uv/suns rays to stain the paper,
    and you only really get 1 or 2 chances to scan the image, but you get an image with details
    that you can tweek your levels to, as you did with the scans you presented in the thread ...

you might also try a different film, and see if it is just an emulsion that
    disagreeable to your offerings at "le 4stringsbass café"

have fun !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the problem here is probably the use of 400 speed film.

After experimentation, I have confirmed 400 speed films like fomapan 400 and tmy2 aren't well suited to caffenol-c. 100 speed films work much nicer. I use store brand instant coffee, arm & hammer soda, and some ascorbic acid crystals from some winemaking business. I haven't found it to be cheaper than xtol or pmk, but it's another nice option. I use it for 13-15 minutes for fomapan100 in a tray.

Check out what ezzie is doing with mostly caffenol-c and tmx film:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...mageuser=39149

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    ICheck out what ezzie is doing with mostly caffenol-c and tmx film:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...mageuser=39149
    i know, great stuff !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An important point from jp498 above is that Caffenol-C is not generally the cheapest developer so looking at it strictly from a budget perspective there are better options. That being said, it has it's place as the ingredients are generally easy to find (don't forget that you need to source chems for fix as well) and it has a different look. Highly concentrated commercial developers (e.g. HC-110) may be more practical in a dorm situation though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for everything guys! I think the problem with the film I did in Caffenol C is that it's 400 speed. If I had a better scanner I could get the images out a bit better. Like you said, low speed films work a lot better.

I just developed another roll in my Caffenol though and it came out great. I just added 5 more min to my dev time and rinsed longer. This was Caffenol not Caffenol C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ex2.jpg   ex.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin