Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,747   Online: 1081

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Loss of gloss after dry mount press

There is a substantial loss of gloss after putting FB paper through the dry mount press (does mat board have anything to do with this?). Is there any way to prevent it?

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you mean you experience a loss of gloss when dry-mounting? Or are you talking about drying your wet prints in the press?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When using dry mount press to flatten FB prints after drying, not drying in dry mount press. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess it might depend on the paper, or if the press temperature is way too high, but I've never personally had that happen to me and I use archival mat board in the press so that can't be the problem. One thing you might want to try is steaming your prints after flattening. This can increase the surface sheen, although usually not dramatically. It is generally used to compensate for sheen differences between batches of paper, and it also helps blend spotting dye.

What is the temperature of the press? How long do you leave them in there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Temperature is set to 200, and 30 seconds. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's just moisture affecting the surface, give the mounted print a really quick steam over a boiling kettle. Better still in futire dry the mount board well then the print in the press before dry mounting that's the professional way of mounting.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry if this is confusing, but I should point out that I am flattening prints, not dry mounting using a dry mount press. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrules View Post
    Sorry if this is confusing, but I should point out that I am flattening prints, not dry mounting using a dry mount press. Thanks.
    OK, you need to flatten with a quick press to dry the print, may be 2 cycles between previously dried card before the longer flattening press,

If the print still looses gloss just give quick steam, it'll be better than before the first press

I've done this for 25 to 30 years with some prints, John Sexton's written about it in more recent years but it's a well known trick the steam remelts the surface gelatin supercoat reviving and usually giving a better gloss.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian. I'll try it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    What are you putting your prints to protect them while in the press? matte board? You should be using release paper or board. It's silicone impregnated paper that keeps it from sticking and keeps it clean.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin