Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,701   Online: 849

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Coffee Developer

Hi

I am very hooked on trying this, and I have found some recipes for some devs. But I am working on a concept for a coffee shop in Århus, Denmark who wants some pictures taken in the coffee shop. And then I want to develop the negs with the addition of his own, hand brewed coffee. Developing these negs in instant coffee would be blasphemic to him, as a barista hates instant coffee.

Can anyone provide me with a recipe with already made coffee instead of instant coffee?
    Should I just add some washing soda to the cold coffee and experiment?

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not tried this...but given that the ratio of instant coffee to water in the recipe is 4tsp of instant coffee in 8oz of water, you're going to have to brew up some really strong coffee if you want to avoid using instant.

One other thing...do you plan to tone the prints with coffee? I know I've seen reference to this on the web somewhere.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    One other thing...do you plan to tone the prints with coffee? I know I've seen reference to this on the web somewhere.
    I plan to, yes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Hi

I am very hooked on trying this, and I have found some recipes for some devs. But I am working on a concept for a coffee shop in Århus, Denmark who wants some pictures taken in the coffee shop. And then I want to develop the negs with the addition of his own, hand brewed coffee. Developing these negs in instant coffee would be blasphemic to him, as a barista hates instant coffee.

Can anyone provide me with a recipe with already made coffee instead of instant coffee?
    Should I just add some washing soda to the cold coffee and experiment?

Morten
    morten -

i think you might want to experiment a little bit. i would use coffee ground to the finest grind - "1" or "turkish". i will be like flour, and it will probably disolve into your water better than course ground coffee.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    i think you might want to experiment a little bit. i would use coffee ground to the finest grind - "1" or "turkish". i will be like flour, and it will probably disolve into your water better than course ground coffee.
    Good point. I'll have him do that.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    4 tsp/8 oz water is 4 times the strength of normal instant coffee, I believe. I'd experiment with different varieties of espresso. A "short" espresso is stronger than a regular espresso (same amount of coffee, half the water), so that might do it.

On the other hand, it is advised that if you don't like coffee as strong as a normal espresso, it is better to add hot water to a regular espresso than to let twice as much water run through the grounds, because this tends to extract something from the grounds that makes it bitter. It might be that whatever this is that comes out as you put too much water through the same grounds makes bad coffee, but maybe it makes good developer. He owns a coffee shop, so you should have plenty to experiment with!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've heard that Mate' tea from South America contains three times as much caffein as does coffee. Any thoughts?

What could we call this? - "Pampasol"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ...quickly followed by a lemonade stop bath?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Caffeine is not the main developer. it is caffeic acid, which is part of the tannins of coffee.
    Mate is an excellent eye opener but I'm not sure about development. you may try of course .
    RIT people used mint leaves for development also, so it may be doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    I've heard that Mate' tea from South America contains three times as much caffein as does coffee. Any thoughts?

What could we call this? - "Pampasol"?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Teas contain tannins IIRC, perhaps more than coffee.

A long time ago, studying with a frat brother for final exams, he used a glass percolator to make tea. When he was through, you couldn't see a strong light through the brew. I stayed up all night with no problem, but fell asleep during the exam.
    Gadget Gainer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin