Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,992   Online: 847

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A bit of reality

Ilford is undergoing restructuring.

Agfa's in termoil, and rumours persist about what they will or won't be manufturing.

Ferrania's hanging on only just, but is irrelevant to serious photographers anyway.

Kodak have shifted manufacture of B&W film out of the US to reduce labour costs.

It's a time of major shifts in the market place, the weak won't survive, we'll still have excellent film to work with in a few years time

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perfectly and succinctly put Ian!

At the end of the day we are in a consumer market where most people don't want to pay the going price. As a result only the fittest will survive and the choice will reduce. Alternatives will still be around so we are just going to have to learn to use those films.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is not film that I am concerned about losing. I do not want to lose Ilford's great assortment of papers and Ilfochrome (Cibachrome). The question is: Will anyone manufacture comparable products to fill the void?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=gma]I do not want to lose Ilford's great assortment of papers and Ilfochrome (Cibachrome)./QUOTE]

All I can say to your post is I have'nt used Ilford materials for over 18 years, at least not for serious work. Except for Xp-1 & XP-2

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    It is not film that I am concerned about losing. I do not want to lose Ilford's great assortment of papers and Ilfochrome (Cibachrome). The question is: Will anyone manufacture comparable products to fill the void?

I agree, if the papers do go I think I'll try Forte again although I haven't used it in years because of the inconsistency from batch to batch that I experienced when I last used it. When it's good it can be quite beautiful.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Les,
    Have you got experience with Foma paper?
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went up to Toronto and had a chance to visit Bob Carnies' shop. He is producing Ilfochromes from scanned film, exposed by a lambda. This process curcumvents most of, if not all the head aches associated with the traditional ilfochrome process.

The work was great and I know Bob and his crew worked hard to get to this point.

I love Ilfochromes and for those who feel the same and especially Bob. This news really sucks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "It's a time of major shifts in the market place, the weak won't survive, we'll still have excellent film to work with in a few years time"

My view would be that we will still have good quality films to work with for decades. Markets have a way of seeking out needs and supplying such.

"Agfa's in termoil, and rumours persist about what they will or won't be manufturing."

Agfa doesn't seem to be in any turmoil. They sold their film/paper/chem division to a buyer that hired 2600 Agfa employees to keep it running. The new buyer says they will continue to produce the Agfa products. The catalog may change from time to time, but that is the case with most all manufactures...new products are added and/or old products are dropped, depending on the market. Slow movers get the axe, consistent performers remain.

"Kodak have shifted manufacture of B&W film out of the US to reduce labour costs."

Kokak B&W still says made in USA. They opened a new plant for coating B&W emulsions in the US about a year ago. I haven't read anything about them moving manufacturing out of the US. Can you point me to a source for this, please?
    Thanks
    Dean
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually Dean I agree with you.

But the rumours are that Agfa is dropping larger formats, and looking at dropping B&W completely. They did not manage to sell the consumer division to a third party, it was a management buy out.

As for Kodak the information is here on this forum.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    Les,
    Have you got experience with Foma paper?

Have'nt tried the paper but used some 120 film several years ago and was not impressed. To be fair though I believe that the eastern block materials have improved since then.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin