Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,621   Posts: 1,622,849   Online: 1124

Shooter
    35mm

What happened here?

I used an AP compact tank for the first time. It's very convenient, but unfortunately the negatives didn't come out well. There were anomalies on the edges of some parts of negatives. The edges are brownish on the emulsion side, but dark on the other. What could have caused it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP9734.jpg   IMGP9735.jpg  
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Looks like incomplete fixing, from the film touching the reel edges too tightly or something.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree. It may be that the reels were just slightly damp when you loaded the film.

Ideally, when film is loaded into a reel, it is positioned in the grooves, but loose enough to rattle slightly. Sometimes you can sense this by gently running your fingers across the sides of the reel.

Also, be sure when you load the film that the last sprocket holes are loaded far enough into the reel to be past the ball bearings.

Re-fixing and re-washing will remove the problem.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. Now that I think of fixing I might have not used enough fixer, so the upper edges weren't even fixed properly.
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks like the edges were not fixed at all. Nice sharp edge to it, which would seem to agree with you not using enough chems.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jüri View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Now that I think of fixing I might have not used enough fixer, so the upper edges weren't even fixed properly.
    The images themselves also don't look really fixed.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I used to get this when I loaded 2 reels into a tank and didn't use enough chemicals. The very top of the second roll would be above the line of the chemicals. Check to see how much you use.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin