Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,743   Online: 938

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulk Loading

Images

Bulk Loading

I did it year ago but my memory is dim.
    How many 36 exp rolls do you realistically get out of a hundred foot roll?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you get around 25 rolls. Using bulk is more for the flexability of winding shorter and custom rolls that way your exposures are basically the same situation and developement, consistant for all the shots on that roll. Otherwise you'll wind up with blocked up highs and others too flat or thin on the same roll.

I make my rolls around 15 or so frames and blow the entire roll on one subject.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to try to do 35 exposure rolls so they would fit file pages better (7 strips of 5 frames each) and would get 18-20 rolls per 100 foot long roll.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    18-20 seems about right to me, too.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    IT should also be less expensive, at the veary least 1/3. with the prices I'v at JandC and others I may half to take another look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should get 18 rolls at 36 exp each. I do, at least. Depends, too on how long you make your leaders, and how much film at the end of each roll is light struck. Some bulk loaders have a shorter distance from the feed out opening to the cassette take-up crank opening, so the end of the film, where it is taped to the spool could have from 1 1/2 to 3 frames exposed to light, depending upon your loader.
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get between 20 and 25 rolls of varying lenghts. Most of them are around 30-32 exp but sometime I need 15 or even 12.

If you were to made all 35 exps you may get 20
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    As I remember, I also was winding 35 frame rolls for the same reason as John.
    The number "19" sticks in my mind, which fits right in with the experience of others here.
    Thanks everybody.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    36 exp requires 54" plus leader and taped end. An 8" leader and end combined will make the total length 62". 100 ft = 1200". You should get 19 rolls if you are careful not to waste too much everytime you open the film loader. If I were bulk loading today I would make 12 exp rolls for the same reason as stated by others. I rarely use all 36 exp at one time. I cut the film in the camera in the darkroom and make a new tongue for the remaining unexposed film after I get the exposed film in the reel. It is a bother, but the films I buy from J&C are available as 36 exp only.

I have given up on bulk loading because reusing cartridges increases the chance of scratching film. IMO the time and effort required to make the exposures is worth a lot more than the small amount saved by bulk loading. The only reason I would bulk load today is if I found an unusual film available in bulk only.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always ignored bulk loading for the same reasons. But with future supplies of a chosen film possibly in jeopardy, bulk loading could be another way to stock up rather than lots of little boxes. Also shooting shorter rolls would mean less wastage as I write off any unexposed frames if I finish shooting before the roll is used. Might be worth considering again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin