Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,504   Online: 1138

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No uneven development problems with the presoak, and Fomapan T200 I've used only in 120, and the blue does come out with the presoak.

Usually one does a presoak to solve uneven development problems, so it's curious that in Fay Godwin's case, it caused them. Must have been something about the particular combination of developer, film, and agitation.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    No uneven development problems with the presoak, and Fomapan T200 I've used only in 120, and the blue does come out with the presoak.

Usually one does a presoak to solve uneven development problems, so it's curious that in Fay Godwin's case, it caused them. Must have been something about the particular combination of developer, film, and agitation.
    Since I made the first post I've remembered more detail of Fay's problem. she dev'd FP4 in ID11 with a presoak and experienced very uneven development as I described. The final solution recommended by both Ilford and interestingly, Kodak as Fay consulted both companies, was to continue to presoak but use the presoak water to mix the developer instrad of pouring it away. I also recall that she had a backlog of about 150 rolls of 120 film that she wouldn't process until the problem was solved.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting. I wonder why that might be.

Since we're in the realm of strange and hard-to-explain effects, I should probably mention that I use a water stop, so if I'm tray processing, I'll often presoak in the fresh "stop" (which is just water) tray, and then re-use that blue water as the stop so as not to have to set up an extra tray in my small space. If I'm processing in a daylight tank, though, I'll use fresh water for both, and I haven't noticed a difference.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maco recommend a presoak for Maco Cube - they claim that it is necessary, to achieve full film speed. The pre-soak comes out blue (the soluble AH layer), but I've never known the polyester film base to lose its faint blue cast. It is only faint though. As well as the pre-soak, I use two washes between dev and first fix, one wash between first and second fix and seven washes after second fix. I'm using TF-4 fixer. When developing in W2D2+, I use a carbonate & bisulphite pre-soak instead of water.

Who coats Maco film, apart from Ilford? Is it Foma?

Best,
    Helen

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Helen,

Fotokemika ("Efke") coats for Maco, some Emulsions are identical (or close to) to the Efke emulsions.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Roman.

Are Efke coating the Rollei R3 film as well?

Best,
    Helen

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Helen,

I don´t know. There is much rumour around and the plain statement "Made in Germany" doesn´t make it better. What is "MAde in GErmany"? Packaging? Confectioning? Or coating (there is no second coating line other than those in Leverkusen at the Agfa plant!)?

What I have heard about results with the film isn´t stellar... I´ll have a look at the Maco booth, they want to exhibit prints made from the film there.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    I was always told that negatives should be kept away from sunlight. Is this no longer the case? If not then I don't need to spend so much time in darkend rooms.
    What can go wrong? The film is properly fixed and washed and it´s only for two hours. And it works. ;-)
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Thanks Roman.

Are Efke coating the Rollei R3 film as well?

Best,
    Helen
    I think you'll find the Rollei R3 is going to look a lot like Maco Cube. Traffic film for photo use. No, it is not Efke made.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    Or coating (there is no second coating line other than those in Leverkusen at the Agfa plant!)?
    Ok. Rumour mode ON.

There is a second coating plant around - in Berlin. A Kodak daughter company makes x-ray film there.

A friend called them today and inquired about what they do and if they´d fulfill external orders for bw-film.

They do and they recently got a larger order for this from an undisclosed company.

oh, regarding the Traffic survaillance film characteristics - Maco recently layed out the development of the Maco 400cube. It started with a "Bankers survaillance film", continued for traffic survaillance and only then was labeled for photographical use.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin