Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,867   Online: 969

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pwitkop
    On a side note, reading the pdf on the foma web site, it mentions cm sheet film sizes. I know 9x12 is at least aproximately the same size as 4x5, but does anyone know if it is exactly the same, or close enough that it would fit in standard 4x5 film holders? The results from foma pro 100 in 120 seem very promising so far, I'd like to possibly try it in large format as well.

Peter
    Only 5x7 in. and 13x18 cm formats are practically the same (I use these). 4x5 in. is 10x12,5 cm.
    But you can order any size, Foma will cut it. 3 packs (150 sheets) are minimum. I have just received 8x10, it was special order.
    I use Fomapan 100 very often, one shot on 5x7 sheet is almost as cheap as one shot on 6x9cm. Sheet film is clear, but it contains also a lot of blue dye, which is easily washed out during presoak or washing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've noticned the blue cast with Foma 200 in 120. Using a pre-soak doesn't seem to make significant diffence, so I suspect it's actually the base layer of the film. The main drawback of an otherwise excellent film is that it throwsthe filtration out when using multigrade papers. Whilst I haven't done an exhaustive test, I reckon I need to use settings for a grade lower than what I actually want. Anybody else had this experience?

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it's most certainly the polyester film base that has this blue colour. See Foma's website www.foma.cz
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hans,

I learned today that the blue toned polyester base usually finds an application in x-ray films - the company I spoke of before uses blue Polyester of the same thickness that Foma specifies for the Fomapan rollfilm.

I currently have a Fomapan100 in the wash... canīt wait to pull it through the stabilizer and check it...
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roman,
    You're right. I happened to see blue-toned X-ray negs at my dentist's the other day.
    Could you wash out the colour?
    Greetings
    Hans

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hans,

no, no, I didnīt try to wash the dye out and I donīt think it is actually possible. ;-)

I developed a test film from my new lens, a 2,8/180 CZJ Sonnar (Zebra), and got some good and a bad news from that. Only a test film, but the light was beautiful and I actually wanted these images - but no, the god of light leaks struck my camera. :-(

Thats the bad, the goods are:

- I can put 13 images on a 120 roll (with a large safety margin).
    - Fomapan100 looks sharp and nice and good and seems to be close to 100ASA with R09 1+40.
    - when handling it in the dark it feels, tastes, smells like APX100 (just like Scala does)
    - it is a charm to cut and file - it is flat
    - it is the fastest drying film I have ever seen.

I used stabiliser instead of Mirasol (Photoflo) and the film was clean and dry within 25min - in a quite cold room, not a Mistral or Meteor drying cabinet. Woah.

No, I donīt think you can get rid of the tint, and I donīt think it matters. Just treat it like base fog.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks Roman.
    Exactly my findings with this difference: I found the film to be rather curly. Perhaps I had an older batch. Waiting for your news how your negs will print.
    Regards
    Hans

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin