Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,716   Online: 758

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Selenium toning in Jobo anyone??

Due to darkroom space limitations I've now converted to processing all my prints up to 20x24 in my Jobo. The only step I have not completed in the Jobo is the selenium toning. I would like to hear others' experiences with this.........

thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I don't see any reason to attempt it. With the paper in the tube you cannot judge print color so your toning is likely to be very erratic. As for the tube, I suspect the selenium would gradually adhere to, or be absorbed by, the plastic and cause problems.
    I would not try it.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim. Toning is very predictable if the solution is relatively fresh. For example, 1 minute in 1:5 solution is just what I like with MGIV FB warmtone. I don't think this would be a problem for me. On the other hand, it's virtually impossible for me to tone 20x24 now, and 16x20 is very difficult. Solution adhering to the tube is something very different. I know as a fact that wash aid is not recommended in jobo tanks for this purpose, but I've never heard this to be a problem with selenium toner.....in any case, thanks for the input. I hope others who have tried this (for better of for worse) will chime in......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Selenium toning like other chemical processes leaves a stain on plastic trays. But I use the same trays for various purposes. I’ve never experienced any ill effects due to the residue. I believe that these chemical residues are essentially the byproducts of chemical reactions and for the most part not the active chemical. Therefore, it’s very unlikely that the residue—stains really—will have any effect on subsequent processes.

Whether these stains are on plastic trays or the interior of plastic tanks shouldn’t matter. I’ve used my Jobo 8” x 10”, 11” x 14”, 16” x 20”, and 20” x 24” print drums to develop print RA4 and I used to do Fujichrome Type 34 (same chemistry as Ektachrome 22 and 23 papers), B&W print developer, fixer, Heico Permawash, wash and Kodak bleach-redevelopment sepia toning all in the same drums.

I also develop, fix, hypo clear, wash and occasionally selenium tone negatives in the same Jobo film developing tank. I’ve never given any of these anything more than a water rinse afterwards and I’ve never detected any problems. The development and other steps all seem to proceed normally without any unwanted side effects.

If there are any residual chemicals remaining in the stains I suppose that there is simply too little to cause any meaningful effects. You claim that wash aid is not recommended for Jobo tanks? I read all the accompanying information supplied with my tanks and drums and don’t recall such a warning.

I've used Jobo tanks, drums, and reels fairly regularly as described since 1988. I haven't seen a problem yet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sorry, that should have read "photo-flo is not recommended in Jobo tanks/drums". Of course wash aid is fine. Thanks Ian. You've given me the confidence to try. Any idea what I can use to remove stains in the tubes, etc. from a Jobo processor....?

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is a number of processing equipment cleaners here. You have to read the descriptions to decide which is most likely for your needs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...372+4294949850

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks again Ian.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    chemkwik - is the best photo lab cleaner - its Jobo safe - tested over many many years in a commercial lab (and others as well).
    it might not remove the stains, but it will keep your hands free and clean of chemical residue over time, and will prevent the buildup of any residue on any treated surface. its a bit tricky to find a store that stocks, it, but i called the company and they directed me to a distributor.
    its something like 12$ per quart in a squirt bottle. worth every penny.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin