Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,661   Online: 1006

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    one more film gone the way of the dodo!
    As long as there are other birds around, all we can do is moan twenty years from now on how beautiful APX was.... and it is beautiful
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    one more film gone the way of the dodo!
    As long as there are other birds around, all we can do is moan twenty years from now on how beautiful APX was.... and it is beautiful
    No need to panic. This stuff has come up on photo.net time and again (referring specifically to APX in 120 format) and it always turns out to be a question of local distribution rather than manufacture. Others have recently posted e-mails they have received from AGFA headquarters stating they have no plans to discontinue these films. Of course there is no guarantee that they won't take this step in the future, but for the time being I think there is no need to worry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most stores still in stock.

Don't know if this is the last batch of APX 120, or if Agfa will make more after this batch sold out.

Do what you think is right. Frankly even if I want to stock some more, there is still a money issue, after just bought tons of Ilford stuff. Though I did stock a few cases of APX 100 and 400 120, in case it is true.

I tried digital negative approach last week and I expect to get a better result if I used the right tools and materials, including the transparency film, the ink, and the printer. I used an old Lexmark laser printer printing to a 3M transparency. The 8x10 contact prints from wet darkroom looks fine if viewed from many feet away .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone
    Also, I have a quick question... what is "closer" to APX 100? Foma 100 or JandC 100? -Grant
    Actually with 15'ish years of experience of APX 100 and Tmax I'd say I've only used one film remotely similar and close to APX 100 and that's Kodak's Tmax 50 (ok they call it 100). But for a long time I switched seamlessly between the two prefering APX 100 for 35mm in my Leica because its a stop faster, and using either in 5"x4", and AP25/APX25 in my roll film back.

Now I'm stuck will I buy a film only available in 35mm, and not easily available in the UK. I doubt it and they've (Agfa) lost a very loyal and prolific customer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's a link to the photo.net thread in question:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=009bPr

Here's a thread where the individual originally posted his claim that Agfa had "formally announced through Europe, Asia, and Australia" that they were cutting APX 100 and 400:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=009OH8

When challenged to provide any evidence of this "formal announcement", he could not. His new thread is just a quote from some Agfa Netherlands employee who could be anyone from a marketing exec to a mail room lackey.

Will Agfa discontinue the rest of the APX line? Probably; they don't seem to have the first clue about marketing their products. Will it happen soon? I don't know, and neither does the person who posted those threads. He just seems to enjoy being the bearer of bad news, true or not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101
    Will Agfa discontinue the rest of the APX line?
    Perhaps they will soon announce their line up of new high speed
    emulsions. They do hold the patents and I'd think be the first
    to market. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite to the contrary of the ongoing rumours about the discontinuance of further Agfa products there are rumours popping up on german forums that now - after the management buyout - Agfa has plans come back with APX in sheets, cut to size and packaged by Tura.

To my mind and as of today I think both is equally questionable.

Stefan

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Moose,

thanks for that.

I know people who used to work for Agfa and still have contacts - they haven´t heard anything like that and there is no bit of rumour going in around german ressources.

So - I take it for nonsense.

The new managment crew are old Photo guys, they have dedicated themselves to the Agfa Photo. I hope they will restructure the marketing and distribution and take some responsibilies away from the national distributors - there is no good in the current model of local decision making. There is no Rodinal in South East Asia, there is no Rollfilm 120 in Sweden...
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    The new managment crew are old Photo guys, they have dedicated themselves to the Agfa Photo.
    That would be the best news to come out of any of the major manufacturers in years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    The new managment crew are old Photo guys, they have dedicated themselves to the Agfa Photo. ...
    I like this. Hope APX 100 & 400 still there, and APX 25 come back too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin