Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,214   Posts: 1,532,119   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Pushing TMAX 400 to 1600 and above

I's not sure what compelled me to do it, but I just bought 2 bricks of expired Tmax 400 this morning on fleabay. It came out to be the about the same cost as legacy pro 400 (neopan).

I've read a lot about the pros and cons of Tmax in the past, but I couldn't find any literature regarding heavy pushing of it to 1600, 3200, or 6400.

I have pushed Trix, Neopan, and HP5+, in the past with good to ok results.

I have access to Xtol, and D76, and would rather not dump any more money into new developers until I use up what I have.

Does anyone have times and dilutions? or a link to some example images or outcomes? Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tmax Developer was designed to push Tmax 400, and it works well.

This is Tmax 400 at EI 1600 in Tmax 1+4, 7.25 minutes, 75 degrees (24c)
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I regularly test all the expired film I use. In every case the fog decreases the film speed. For example I just tested some old Delta 400 and it lost over one stop. So, depending on how old or fogged the film is, I'd give more exposure, not less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried pushing to 1600, and never liked empty shadows and over the top contrast at that speed. I now never go over 800, and most fast films push well to this speed, AND I seem to get plenty enough of light in most situations for 1/15 at 800. Favorite was Neopan 1600 at 800. Oh well. Xtol is a better pushing developer than D-76, and Microphen is even better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrules View Post
    I tried pushing to 1600, and never liked empty shadows and over the top contrast at that speed. I now never go over 800, and most fast films push well to this speed, AND I seem to get plenty enough of light in most situations for 1/15 at 800. Favorite was Neopan 1600 at 800. Oh well. Xtol is a better pushing developer than D-76, and Microphen is even better.
    Tmax 3200 and Delta 3200 both look better at 1600, tonally, than 400 speed films pushed to 1600, in my opinion. Have you tried them?
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Tmax 3200 and Delta 3200 both look better at 1600, tonally, than 400 speed films pushed to 1600, in my opinion. Have you tried them?
    Yes, and I found that Delta 3200 looks great at 800 (careful with developing times, the published times are a stop too short). Its real speed is about 1000.

I can't justify the cost and it has too much fog off-the-shelf. So it's TMY-2 at 800 for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If pushing is what you need to do, you'll get the best results from fresh film. I would use this at a lower than normal EI, and for things that you don't need to push. I'd start with EI 200 and see what you get, then make changes if needed.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A while back, I pushed Tmax 400 and Tri-X (400) to 1600 and processed it with XTOL using published figures. I also exposed Delta-3200 at EI 1600 and processed it as if exposed at EI 2400.

These were all shot at the same place within 20 minutes of each other.

Out of all these, I liked the result from Tmax 400 the best. Nice contrast and not too much so. Not a lot of shadow details but I didn't expect it anyway. Grain was actually very acceptable - actually less than Delta-3200.

Try it and see... you might be pleasantly surprised.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks,

I'll have to do some testing when it gets here. I'll shoot it at 200 and 400, and go from there up. I just bought the 20 for the hell of it, I probably wont buy any more of this TMZ stuff as I got lots of cine stock. Just that I'm kinda sick of shooting at iso 200 (the last 20+ rolls, not including the films I use at work), which is the speed I rate my 250 speed cine stock at.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know it's not what you asked but my all time favorite BW for 1600 is plain old Tri-X in Diafine. I often use it as an all around film when I may have a few shots on the roll that need the speed. Of course you have a deal on other cheap film and don't want to buy other developers which I totally understand but in case you want to try it some day there it is. Diafine lasts almost forever so the per roll price is very cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin