Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,768   Online: 946

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Reversal B&W development

Hi

I am trying to get the chemicals for the process. I want to use the Ilford process described here:

Ilford's reversal PDF
    • Sodium thiosulphate
    • Potassium permanganate
    • Sodium or potassium metabisulphite

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Morten -- Find these chemicals at any chemical supply house or through Photographer's Formulary or Artcraft in the USA or Fotochem in Canada. I'm sure there is a European source as well. They may also be obtainable through unconventional means -- potassium permanganate is used for athlete's foot and for disinfecting decorative ponds and sodium metabisulfite IIRC is used in home wine-making and possibly as a chlorine eliminator for swimming pools. Hypo (sodium thiosulfate) is the main ingredient in fixer and should be easier to come by.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Morten,

there are a few companies in Germany selling the stuff, perhaps one of them will export. I remember that one APUG member in a Scandinavian country talked about it - could it be Ole in Norway?

My personal experience is limited to two:

www.koehler-chemie.de (which is located nearby my home, I drive and get the stuff there)

and

www.genec.de (VERY good prices!)

There are a few more, I don´t have their URL´s at hand - google for "Omikron Online" and "Suvatlar" in Hamburg. The latter usually sells to companies like CG and Schain (making commercial developers) and Brenner.

The companies are required by law to ask for a permit for a few agents - you have to prove that you are capable of handling them by profession or education. But some don´t actually ask for it - they regard a warning label on their website as "good enough". Just try it. ;-)

If you want to try it within Denmark, ask your local pharmacy. Really. Sometimes they can be quite competetive. Or perhaps they will tell you where they buy the raw stuff from.

Or ask a chemistry teacher - Koehler Chemie is a retailer for schools, they supply chemicals and lab material for chemistry classes.

Finally - ask at a university. The chemistry departments usually maintain an internal store for the students needs,
    if you talk with a higher official you may get access to it.

And I´d recommend starting with the Foma reversal kit - it is cheap, it is versatile and quite good for starters.

HTH.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    If you want to try it within Denmark, ask your local pharmacy. Really. Sometimes they can be quite competetive. Or perhaps they will tell you where they buy the raw stuff from.

Or ask a chemistry teacher - Koehler Chemie is a retailer for schools, they supply chemicals and lab material for chemistry classes.

Finally - ask at a university. The chemistry departments usually maintain an internal store for the students needs,
    if you talk with a higher official you may get access to it.

And I´d recommend starting with the Foma reversal kit - it is cheap, it is versatile and quite good for starters.
    Thank you VERY much for the tips. I will try to order some chems right away. And btw I'm having sent the Foma Kit directly from a friend in The Czeck Republic soon.

Greetings Morten

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    there are a few companies in Germany selling the stuff, perhaps one of them will export. I remember that one APUG member in a Scandinavian country talked about it - could it be Ole in Norway?
    It could indeed - I get my chemicals from VWR international (www.vwr.com) which has outlets in most countries. Just click on the appropriate flag on the opening page.

Mind the prices - there's a big difference in price from "technical" to "ultrapure", for our purposes technical is good enough - but sometimes only available by the ton. I buy fixer every 2 years, in 25kg sacks...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Morten,

Foma gave me a kit as a gift at the Photokina for pointing them on a bad translation error in the german sheet. ;-)

If you read german, me and a friend just finished a small article for reversal beginners that will be published later this week at www.sw-magazin.de - we tested it for Agfa Scala, APX100 and the Fomapan R100 and gave times and some minor tweaks there.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Morten,

I am sorry, the first URL is wrong.

Look at http://www.koehlerchemie.de/
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Man, I am a reversal beginner, but English speaking only (uneducated white trash)- maybe the article will be translated someday?

Matt

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Matt,

Ok, so will it be. But guys, don´t expect too much, it´s a basic article giving beginners a helping hand. ;-)

Helen offered assistance in translation, I´ll start this week.

Roman
    Tschüss,
    Roman

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin