Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,826   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I occasionally had problems with these plastic reels until I started practicing the technique shown in the attached image. Also gently pulling out the sides of the reels as you twist has also helped if the advance of the film starts to stiffen a little. I posted an example a few years ago of how I load 35mm film with the canister between pursed lips. Causes a few laughs but is failsafe in my experience!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Loading plastic reels.jpg  
    Last edited by Tony Egan; 05-22-2011 at 07:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    p.s. here's the other post I was talking about. 2006, wow the years go by fast!
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/3...rue-story.html
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was thinking along the lines of Thomas. The film width could be slightly (ie. Manu defect) or perhaps the reel took a jolt and has a spot that won't allow loading.

Have you developed any other film on this reel since?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm the opposite, I fould it easier to load 120 than 35mm.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It could be that APX films had thinner base material than other films, making it harder to "push" into the spirals of a plastic reel.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found that photo flo, if not washed out of the reels with very warm even hot water, makes for invisible gumminess. I gave up on stainless reels and went back to pattersons. I have some ss reeels and tanks you can have cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wonder if your stock of film has a high moisture content for some reason. I find that the Patterson Brand reels are a but slicker than the AP reels. The AP "compact" reels are slicker than the "classic" reels but they have the large guides that get in the way when checking the film between fix and wash steps.

I Prefer the Jobo 1500 series as being slicker to load than the paterson, but with Jobo in receivership the price of their reels and required tanks has gone through the roof.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    I would concur with a lot of what has been said. Are you using a changing bag to load the reels? If so I would recommend cooling your hands under running water (but don't make them numb!) before putting them into the bag. If you can store the bag in a cool place too that may help. This might sound mad but I went through a spell a few summers ago when the weather was warm of suffering from 'sticky' reels. Having cleaned and thoroughly dried the reels with no success, I figured that the sweat vapour from my hands might be causing the stickiness so tried cooling them before starting. This seems to have solved the problem. Might not work for you but it is worth a try.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Often, if you can't get the film on the reel, it's because you haven't invented enough new swear words during the process.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Many years ago I had a similar problem with a plastic tank. I took a shoe brush (who remembers them?) and without adding any polish and just using whatever had stuck to the bristles I scrunched it circular fashion on the face with the grooves.

Worked well. Never had a problem as I thought might happen with the wax. Films loaded slickly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin