Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,411   Online: 950

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    I liked SS, but went to Paterson plastic reels when I had "surge" problems. By that, I mean I had more development near the edges of the film caused by eddies around the SS reels.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hewes Hewes Hewes Hewes .

"Marquis De Sade Signature Model" .... HA!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    I liked SS, but went to Paterson plastic reels when I had "surge" problems. By that, I mean I had more development near the edges of the film caused by eddies around the SS reels.
    I do not have that problem with the pre-wet procedure, developers and agitation methods that I use.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you should consider Hewes reels. Has anyone mentioned them yet?

Seriously now. They may have got round the problem of alignment with those hooky things, and they may be available for standard Jobo 1500 series tank cores, but they haven't got round the old 'hair caught in the spiral' problem. Trust me on this.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As a sidenote, how exactly does one use those 'aprons'?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The apron thing has little knobbles along the edges, so when you wind it together with the film each lap is held away from the adjacent laps. No plastic or metal spiral to load. Good stuff! We had them at school though they didn't fit in with the school's motto 'Semper Multa Difficultissima Multum Bonissimum Est'*

Best,
    Helen
    *A thousand apologies for the really bad schoolgirl Latin attempt at 'The Most Difficultest Is Always The Most Bestest'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Maybe you should consider Hewes reels. Has anyone mentioned them yet?

Best,
    Helen
    I love the Hewes 120 reels I have, look for them all the time..OK, they cost a little more and I'm cheap, so anytime I see any SS reels, check to see if they are Hewes.
    Mike C

Rambles

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I had many problems loading film onto Paterson's plastic reels--perhaps after a while of usage the reels need to be replaced due to wear--and switched to Hewes reels and have been completely satisfied. Though I initially had problems getting the film throughout the stainless steel reel, I consulted the following Web page and my problems were solved:

http://www.clearsightusa.com/loadingreels.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love this thread!
    I just find it so cool that there are so many different answers to the same question, and that each respondant has a different angle.

FWIW, I learned to use a Paterson system and found it a snap. A couple of months ago, I bought a used Jobo TBE-2 and it came with four of the four-roll Jobo stainless tanks. I figured 'what the hay' and decided to try the stainless stuff because everybody seemed to be of the opinion that they were the best.

OUFFFF!!! I practised and practised in the light until I thought I had it. Of course, Murphy's Law struck...When I went to load the reel for real it took ages and even when I thought I had it all correct, it wasn't. When I unwound the reel to dry, it was all a mess.

With the Paterson reels, I know when there is a problem because they simply refuse to wind properly.

As always, YMMV!!!
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Good Morning,

I never had any problem with Patterson reels when doing 35mm; with 120, I got occasional uneven development near the film edges. I was just beginning in the darkroom at the time, and the problem may have been my agitation technique, but since going to stainless steel, I've never had any such problems.

Konical

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin