Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,673   Online: 1160

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Black Walnut Developer

Has anyone ever used Black Walnut shell stain as a developer? I know it has tannin, quinones, and even ascorbic acid in it. Seems like it might work.

And I have a lot of it on hand right now....

Thanks,

William
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not as developer, how are you planning on dissolving the quinones/tannins?

Quote Originally Posted by wdemere
    Has anyone ever used Black Walnut shell stain as a developer? I know it has tannin, quinones, and even ascorbic acid in it. Seems like it might work.

Thanks,

William
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Not as developer, how are you planning on dissolving the quinones/tannins?
    I'm not planning anything at this point, I just remember someone using a bucket of swamp water to develop film and wondered if it had ever been done with black walnut.

Thanks,

William
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it could... the indiand in my country use black walnut as textile dye

They soak the shells in water (hot) and let them stand for a few hours.
    I'd add some washing soda, and develop some film for 30-40 minutes.... fix and see what happens
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wdemere

Thanks,

William
    It will work, I think someone on this forum used tree bark for developer. I would say put them in water, let them soak for 24 hours, and the boil them until you have half the water.....you just might get a nice stainning developer.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    D´OH.

Few weeks ago I made some walnut confect and got liiiiitres of that brew.

For clarification, let me point out the recipe, a russian/armenian one - you take green, young, soft walnuts and pick them with a needle. Soak them in Water for two weeks and change the water on a daily base (it gets brown and soaked with tannins). Then you make a syrup of water, sugar, spices, boil it and pour it over the walnuts. Put them in glasses, seal them, leave them for 6months, a year, whatever.

Tastes great, you eat them with the thin, young shells and you can use the syrup to sweeten your tea... I learned it last year in Armenia.. yum. Can´t wait to break the first seal. .-)

Well, I guess that water would have made a good opportunity to test it. But it´s too late... the water stains pretty much, it even stained a ceramic plate I put in the tray to push the nuts beyond the surface.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

That may have been me... I tried a series of primitive 'black water' developers.... Arbutus tree (both boiled bark and fermented leaf) , reduced swamp water...... Now we are in grape harvest and I shall be trying a fermented grapeskin mash. Jorge is correct.... boiling your mixture helps as well as letting it ferment and evaporate off.... A little film overexposure doesn't hurt either and do increase those development times.

There is a certain bizarre satisfaction in developing film in the distilled essences of your subject..... (mind you I would probably avoid the concept if you photograph people).

Cheers Annie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie
    ....Now we are in grape harvest and I shall be trying a fermented grapeskin mash.
    I'm drinking some now myself. I should be fully developed by about 10pm.

Cheers,
    Will
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    I'm drinking some now myself. I should be fully developed by about 10pm.

Cheers,
    Will
    LOL
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Of course pyrogallol is (or at least was traditionally) made from the galls on oak trees. Does anyone know why it was the galls (growths) rather than just wood/bark/branches?
    Last edited by john_s; 09-30-2004 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin