Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 960

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Thanks for the information. I'll probably not try to mix the two developer/replenisher combination. I've been using HC-110 for close to 30 years and I like the look and versatility. Have you tried Legacy Pro's version? Thomas tried the Legacy Pro's version XTOL and he claim it's the same.
    I too really like HC-110 but have always used it as a one-shot. I have not tried the Legacy Pro version since I have no need for it. They claim that it produces the same results as HC-110 which may be true but chemically they are not the same. Besides the information in the MSDS is Legacy's caveat that their developer is not yellow in color nor does it have the viscosity of HC-110. It is unfortunate that they chose to name it as something it is not. Because of the nature of HC-110 it would be very hard to manufacture without the proper equipment. The HC-110 concentrate contains no water and this is the real give-away. Some of the ingredients are rather esoteric.

Because Xtol is a rather conventional developer it would be easier to create something very similar.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-31-2011 at 11:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Come to think of it, is quite a unique developer. It keeps forever and even when the syrup turns dark, it still performs the same. Is it a proprietary formula? If it is, will Kodak release it to other manufacturers? Rodinal is still produced even with the demise of Agfa.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes it is a proprietary formula and I seriously doubt Kodak would permit anyone else to market it. Yes I know that Kodak chemicals are now manufactured by someone else but they are marketed by Kodak.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Yes it is a proprietary formula and I seriously doubt Kodak would permit anyone else to market it. Yes I know that Kodak chemicals are now manufactured by someone else but they are marketed by Kodak.
    The rodinal case is special in that the maker and the owner (AgfaPhoto) were not only spearate, but AgfaPhoto met it's demise. I guess that the maker bid on the rights to the formula, (although not the trademark)

If Kodak were to stop marketing all chemicals, they might be persuaded to licnece the formula(s) to their chemicals to the firm that is curently making it under contract. Other wise they are unlikely to release the formula and the methods.

As far as the L110, it is physically different being much easier to measure. it does seem to work the same but I am not a lab bunny so it could be far off and I would not know the difference.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak is currently recommending replenishing HC-110 w/ itself. I'd an email from them specifying such b/c I'd inquired, but I can't seem to find it right now to share. They're really great about answering these questions if you call or email them.

I too love HC-110 and think once seasoned it's something really really special.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks for the tip. I do think seasoned HC-110 is special when it's seasoned. Love the look of it with Foma film. I'll email Kodak to find out how to self-replenish. I use dilution "B". If I find out anything, I'll share it on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I began w/ the same amounts + dilutions that are specified for use w/ the replenisher in the HC-110 tech pub, and then kept an eye on it, but it was a very close starting point.

Before asking Kodak for details, I'd originally got the tip to self replenish from Jim at MV labs, so I have to give him credit for it - as far as I'm concerned, no one knows this developer (or BW processing in general) better than he does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure. I'll give it a try. So basically, treat HC-110 concentrate as HC-110 replenisher?

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know where to start before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, use the developer just like the replenisher.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seem to remember reading somewhere at some point that if you start with dilution B, and add 4 mL of HC-110 syrup for every 80 sq-in. of film you process, it is an acceptable way to replenish. I just wish I could find that data sheet.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin