Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,363   Online: 1125

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm actually using dilution E, or whatever the 1+47 one is, and I've found it remarkably stable. But I'd def test, b/c a few people have told me that I'm lucky to get away w/ replenishing dilution E w/o problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get the 'seasoned' developer effect by adding a small amount of P. Bromide (and some say, a minute amount of P. Iodide). Another trick is to add color developer 'starter'.

When it came to making up a new batch of replenished developer it was common to reserve about 10% of the old tank and add it to the new batch. You might try saving spent 1-shot HC-110 and using it 1:10 in the developer for the next roll.

Personally, I am a confirmed 1-shot worker - a bit like a teetotaler exclaiming on Islay malts.

You'll have to google for the rest...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    I'm actually using dilution E, or whatever the 1+47 one is, and I've found it remarkably stable. But I'd def test, b/c a few people have told me that I'm lucky to get away w/ replenishing dilution E w/o problems.
    So, what exactly are the usage pattern? How much do you replenish for each roll? How big is your working solution?
    What specifically do you see as a benefit over single shot HC-110?

I've always just used the syrup at 1+50, disregarding the various dilutions, but I guess it's close enough to 1+47.

Thanks,

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dilution E can also be made 1:11 stock to water, instead of 1:47 concentrate to water.

Also, according to Kodak, dilution E can be replenished.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas, my tank is 3.5 gallons. It sees anywhere from about 25 to 200 rolls a month. But usually around 30 or 40. The tank has sit for 2 weeks w/o use and I've not noticed any ill effects. W/ a floating saran wrap lid on the liquid.

But mostly, I'm using the normal concentrate as the replenisher just like the tech pub says for dilution E. The replenisher dilution is stronger than the normal. 22ml per roll. DUmp half the tank every few weeks.

The effects it has on film will depend on the fllm I'd guess...w/ TX400 I think it's really nice. Sharper grain, softer contrast, better highlight separation, 1 stop shadow speed loss. But these are very unscientific observations. My tank began to season quickly. It's easy to run a test w/ a small batch.
    Last edited by GraemeMitchell; 06-05-2011 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't know there were so many HC-110 users out there. Again, thanks for all the tips. I guess self-replenishing is possible. I use my developer at dilution B. I find when I soup FP4 or Arista edu Ultra, the shadows are lacking at box speeds. When I was shooting 20 rolls per month, I replenished and the look of the negs were great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell View Post
    Thomas, my tank is 3.5 gallons. It sees anywhere from about 25 to 200 rolls a month. But usually around 30 or 40. The tank has sit for 2 weeks w/o use and I've not noticed any ill effects. W/ a floating saran wrap lid on the liquid.

But mostly, I'm using the normal concentrate as the replenisher just like the tech pub says for dilution E. The replenisher dilution is stronger than the normal. 22ml per roll. DUmp half the tank every few weeks.

The effects it has on film will depend on the fllm I'd guess...w/ TX400 I think it's really nice. Sharper grain, softer contrast, better highlight separation, 1 stop shadow speed loss. But these are very unscientific observations. My tank began to season quickly. It's easy to run a test w/ a small batch.
    Graeme:

If I understand correctly, you are using the normal concentrate in place of the replenisher, diluting it according to the instructions in j24 to prepare the replenisher solution, and then using 22ml of the replenisher solution for each roll.

If my reading of the instructions and arithmetic are correct (concentrate - stock - replenisher), 22ml of replenisher solution consists of 1.16 ml of concentrate and 20.84 ml of water (caution - unreliable round-off here).

I'm surprised that just over 1 ml of concentrate would be enough to keep the replenished developer stable. I understand from your posts that you aren't seeing any drift, but do you think if you used more concentrate per roll that you wouldn't have to discard as much of the tank every few weeks?

I'm tempted to try something like using 3ml of concentrate diluted 1+47 per roll. Any thoughts?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, okay, I'll throw my numbers out there, but keep in mind what works in my tank may not in yours. I do all of my stuff by eye, and, well, gut.

I replenish 22ml per roll at 1+17 (18 parts total) from syrup for each roll. That I believe is pretty close to what the replenishment suggestion is for dilution E (1+3 then 8+11 right...comes out to maybe more like 1+18 in one step...anyway) when I did my math.

But yes, it's approx. 1.2ml of concentrate per roll.

My initial batch is 1+49. I dump half the tank off each few weeks and replace it w/ fresh 1+49.

That's been working perfectly fine for me, for, 4 months. But I ALWAYS run a test roll, and just base my times off of that. But seems stable to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Graeme.

I think the difference in our math comes from the following:

You refer to 1 + 3 for the "stock", which I read as Kodak's suggestion for stock developer;

I used 1 + 7 (16 oz concentrate diluted to make 128 oz US gallon) for the "stock", which I read as Kodak's suggestion for stock replenisher.

Using your 1 +3 for stock, I think the final result comes out to 2 ml concentrate in the 22 ml of replenisher solution.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, those numbers were just off the top of my head...I'd a mess of numbers on a piece of paper 5 months ago when I started to try to figure it out. And maybe I just got really lucky w/ whatever I figured out, as it seems to work.

Either 1+17 at 22ml is still only 1.2ml of syrup per roll.

Anyway...it seems to be working. Maybe it'll all stop working next week or once the weather gets hot. Who knows. Either way, it's good while it lasts.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin