Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,659   Online: 876

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have to dump half the tank every few hundred rolls? Or can you dump, say a quarter of a tank every one hundred rolls? Perhaps that would make for less of a shift and the process less prone to streaking your negatives?

Ultimately, how do the prints look? I'm very interested in knowing how the seasoning of HC-110 in a replenished system affects the final results. HC-110, to me, gives less film speed than I'm used to, a coarser grain (which is beautiful), and somewhat subdued mid-tones, but with crisp and well separated highlights. How does the replenishment alter these results?

Thanks for the report. Very interesting. Finally, have you ever tried replenishing Xtol? I've used the same batch for daylight tank processing for two years now. No amount has needed to be dumped to retain activity. I have just kept replenishing it. No problems with streaking at all, and absolutely fantastic tonality as a result.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Graeme,

Wow you're great with experimenting and record keeping. You sure run a lot of film. I think after all the testing and data collection it all comes down to intuition and gut feeling. What I might have to end up doing is just use HC-110 as a one shot. Thanks for the info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know this is an old thread, but since it's one of those relatively good ones for later reference and people searching I wanted to update again w/ some further, and I think nearly final notes + observations on this. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it by now and can clear up some of my earlier misconceptions.

I'm still using HC-110 dilution E replenished. I'd mentioned that I'd started at replenishing 22ml at 1+19 but that I thought it was weak so I went to 1+17 and then even 1+15 (just eyeballing negs). Well, I've found since that 1+19 is actually really about spot on. The reason I was needing to over-replenish to bring it up to speed was that in the summer my darkroom in NYC is relatively hot and I'd let it sit for up to two weeks btwn batches of film. The heat was causing it to oxidize more quickly I believe, and I was getting thrown off by that. (If it makes you feel better trying it, it slowly drifts weaker, doesn't die suddenly or anything.)

Second, I'd mentioned streaking in negs, something that I thought began to occur after a few hundred rolls went through the tank (like 300). I've since solved this through a change in agitation and rack. I'm really not sure why it would get worse as the tank got more seasoned, or if it was just something that seemed connected but wasn't. But after making some changes I'm not seeing it at all any more, so I'm not opposed to running a lot more film through a tank now. Bottom line, I don't actually think this streaking was caused by developer replenishment...or if it was I've adjusted to fix it.

When I first started the tank I was really nervous about keeping it alive and keeping a lot of film going through it. I chilled out though. If I don't run film for a month or so I'm happy to dump the whole tank, or 90% of it, and then when I start the new one I season it w/ 20 or 30 sheets of 8x10 xray film (cheap and double sided emulsion wise). That is enough to chill out a big tank at dilution E. Then if I have a tank going, as long as it's not 85 degrees in the darkroom over extended periods, I'm pretty confident at 1+19 for replenishment as long as I'm putting 10 or 20 rolls through a week. Still, after a few hundred rolls I dump some of the tank...it really doesn't shift it much at all and it keeps it all more stable. It's become a great system though b/c I've been trying to shoot more and develop in bigger batches. So my last batch from the summer, I got a new tank going and spent a few days running 400 rolls. Doing it this way is very very stable. But I'm still happy to use it on a shorter run basis every few days if I've more jobs.

Finally, out of curiosity , I tested the Legacy Pro L110. It interested me to have a back up to HC-110, and it interested me that it offered a replenisher. At first I was enthused at the negs, thought they looked just like HC-110. But I've since done some bigger scans and finals and it really isn't the same. I'm not saying it's better or worse...but it looks a lot more like d-76 to me. Doesn't have the accutance nor mid tone and highlight micro-contast that Hc-110 exhibits replenished. Some people may prefer it, or other tests may reveal different things, but it was different enough for me that I've a few bottles here that someone is welcome to if they want to come get them.

That's it! I just wanted to correct some of what I mentioned earlier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks for posting on this old thread. I still use and love HC-110. I got some L-110 and replenisher but didn't get a chance to test it out. I like to use HC-110 with Arista EDU. The look is just beautiful. I'm disappointed that the HC-110 substitute isn't exact. I wish someone knows how to self-replenish HC-110 B.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin