Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,524   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Replenishing HC-110

I'm having problems finding HC-110 replenisher. Is there a way of mixing the syrupy concentrate for replenishment? Has anybody used Legacy Pro's equivalent of HC-110 and it's replenisher (L-110)? Any info will be helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak no longer makes a replenisher for HC-110 because of lack of sales. Lagacy Pro is not chemicaslly similar to HC-110 and shouldn't be used as a replenisher. Kodak at one time did mention using HC-110 in a self replenihed manner. Check their website.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip. I thought you can only use their replenisher to do be job. I'll have to google it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Why bother? Use it at dilution H (1:63) at twice the times of dilution B. Nothing cheaper, nothing fresher and no bother about replenishment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip. I love the look of highly diluted HC 110. I also like seasoned film developer. I would like to dilute the concentrate so I can replenish dilution B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/10191-...e-1?cat_id=301

I see no reason why you couldn't use the L110-R replenisher with HC-110.

The benefits of replenishing is often a more pleasing tonality, differences in grain and sharpness compared to the single shot developers. If you run a lot of film through, it could be worth your while. I see benefits with replenished Xtol that I cannot achieve with Xtol 1:2 (which would be the equivalent strength if undiluted). Highlight tones are more pleasing, the negatives are sharper, and they have finer grain. It comes at a cost of film speed, though, but that's a pill I'm willing to swallow. Incidentally, I have tried the Legacy Pro version of Xtol, and it's completely interchangeable with the original.

With that said, if you like HC-110 at dilution H then it may not be worth your while to pursue replenishment.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I repeat my previous comment that the Legacy Pro product is not the same developer/replenisher as HC-110. A quick look at its MSDS will comfirm this. Usingthe Legacy replenisher with HC-110 may produce unexpected or undesirable effects.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The benefits of replenishing is often a more pleasing tonality, differences in grain and sharpness compared to the single shot developers.
    Thanks for the great info Thomas. I prefer seasoned developer over one shot from my experience of getting better results. I've switched over of XTOL so I can replenish it. I've gone back and printed negs soup in HC-110 and more often than not, like the look better. XTOL seems slightly soft for my taste while the HC-110 negs have a crispness I like. The film I'm using is Arista EDU Ultra 100 and 400. I replenish my XTOL at 70mls per 80 sq inches of material. I also dump out the equivalent amount.

I've searched the internet to see if anyone has done replenishment for dilution B with the syrupy HC-110 concentrate. So far I've had no luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Have you tried Legacy Pro's L-110 developer and replenisher combo?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I repeat my previous comment that the Legacy Pro product is not the same developer/replenisher as HC-110. A quick look at its MSDS will comfirm this. Usingthe Legacy replenisher with HC-110 may produce unexpected or undesirable effects.
    Thanks for the information. I'll probably not try to mix the two developer/replenisher combination. I've been using HC-110 for close to 30 years and I like the look and versatility. Have you tried Legacy Pro's version? Thomas tried the Legacy Pro's version XTOL and he claim it's the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry is definitely the better chemist here, so if he says that the L110-R is nothing like the HC-110R, then they probably are not.

So use the HC-110 for diluted developing, and get both L110 and L110-R to use as replenished. I simply reacted to the text stating that the Legacy Pro products had been formulated almost exactly the same as the Kodak chemistry.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin