Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,883   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Kodak HIE Infrared processing

I know it says on the packaging that this film should only be handled in total darkness (loading, unloading etc) but once I have it in the developing tank is it safe to turn the lights on? Or do I have to develop it in total darkness also?

Would greatly appreciate some advice on this...

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    if you are not joking, then turn on the lights with the lid in place. If you are fooling around...don't turn on the lights.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhainz
    I know it says on the packaging that this film should only be handled in total darkness (loading, unloading etc) but once I have it in the developing tank is it safe to turn the lights on? Or do I have to develop it in total darkness also?

Would greatly appreciate some advice on this...
    Just close your eyes, that seems to work....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In all deference to the humor of the Wild Bunch, the concern is the IR waves can meander through standard light trap material. That's a meander similar to a sidewinder as it slithers past your boot. But I haven't seen a sidewinder, or diamond back for that matter, that can get through a tightly capped can.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Alex, I used to dev a lot of this film in the plastic tanks, and would wrap the changing bag around the tank just to be safe while processing, might have even been overkill, never had issues..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi Alex, I used to dev a lot of this film in the plastic tanks, and would wrap the changing bag around the tank just to be safe while processing, might have even been overkill, never had issues..
    Yeah, I'm with you Shawn. The more precise reason as I understand, is UV waves getting through the light trap on 35mm cans and through the paper backing on 120 rolls. I never took any extra precautions once I had it in the developing tank.

That durn Wildbunch got me sidetracked in the thought process.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mine has been fine in a petterson tank.. not in full sunshine tough.. i was under florecent lights..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I only just noticed today that Jobo promote the fact that their plastic tanks are fine for IR film processing, but I've never had a problem using Paterson tanks for Kodak HIE. Presumably you are using a light-proof tank?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

thanks for the humour... but...

Thanks for the comments but UV and IR lightwaves getting past the light trap on the tank was what I was actually getting at. Because you do have to remove the tank lid when changing from developer to stop to fixer I was wondering if that part of it needs to be done in the dark.

To give the whole story, I just developed a roll for a friend and the film has distinctive fogg patterns on it. I was trying to work out the cause but have since found out he shot it with an F80 which uses an IR beam for frame placement so that's what most likely fogged the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey a new Melbourne APUGer... welcome!

Kevin, it might be time to start that regional group

I've processed a couple of rolls of HIE in a Paterson tank and dimmed the room lights, which I've since decided was overkill!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin