Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,609   Online: 680

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sistan

Shooter
    Large Format

sistan

i was wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me about sistan.
    i understand it has been used to undermine the effects and protect paper from
    pollutants and atmospheric contaminants, and some suggest a way
    of archivally stabilizing prints instead of using selenium or other toners.
    i was wondering if anyone can tell me if i soak a print in sistan,
    instead of selenium toner, if it will alter the composition of the print ( like toners do)
    what sort of toxicity and disposal issues are related to sistan.
    agfa isn't around anymore, who makes sistan now ?

i would rather not use selenium if i don't have to -

thanks

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are couple equivalent products available at freestylephoto.biz: adolux adostab, and ag STAB. Neither one alter composition of the print. Instead they work by creating a protective coating somewhat similar to how final rinse does it in C-41 process. In my understanding it is not a perfect replacement for a toner since silver still remains in the vulnerable state - the best archivability is only achieved by full toning AND applying agstab. However, if toning simply does not work for aesthetic reasons, then in theory you should at least apply sistan-like product to improve changes of your print.
    Last edited by anikin; 05-31-2011 at 11:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello John,
    Sistan consists of a aqueous solution of potassiumthiocyanate (KSCN), also known as potassiumrhodanide with addition of a surfactant (octylphenol-ethoxylate like Triton X 100). It is important not to wash the print after the Sistan-bath, the KSCN has to remain in the emulsion layer and forms a protective layer on the surface of the silver grains and it forms insoluble and immobilized silverthiocyanate if the silver gets oxidized to more soluble by an aggressive environment or by oxygen radicals which are formed by irradiation of the titaniumdioxide pigments in the coating of RC-papers and therefore prevents that the mobile silver compounds migrate to the surface of the print. Sistan does not change the colour of the silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    AG Stab is the new name for Sistan, I use it on film (instead of photoflo) and prints after toning.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Large Format
    sorry to ask an alternative use for it ...
    but can it be used in place of selenium toner
    when pre-fix toning POP prints ?
    or will the silverthiocyanate be washed away
    is goldthiocyanate(?) what is formed when using gold toners ( gold borax ) ?

thanks for all your helpful answers !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If one is to put SISTAN protected print side by side with untoned naked print, would one be able to tell any difference? I see it doesn't change color or tone but what about surface texture and reflectivity? I'm interested in this product as well....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    If one is to put SISTAN protected print side by side with untoned naked print, would one be able to tell any difference? I see it doesn't change color or tone but what about surface texture and reflectivity? I'm interested in this product as well....
    After the prints are dried you cannot tell the difference. After 3 months in displayed in sunlight the Sistan print will still look new.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sistan..

I noticed that B&H list Potassium Thiocyanate :Photographers Formulary brand :US$22.95 for 100gm.
    Seems to me you could make your own Sistan : if anyone knows the concentration of active ingredients,perhaps they could contribute to the thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was a recent thread on that. From my records it's 15-20% KSCN plus 5-10% Polyoxyethylated Octyl Phenol (Photo Flo) in water. Dilute 1+19 before use. I don't know if there are other ingredients...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So, that would be what, about five or ten grams KSCN and about 5 mil photoflo in a liter of water. Is this a one shot deal, or does it have some shelf life?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin