Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,867   Online: 841

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pyrocat and silver printing: what gamma?

I just started with densitometry of my pyrocat negs and I am uncertain what gamma to aim at for visual and blue light. I intend to do silver printing only and use a Wratten 47b filter with my Macbeth TD 502 to do the blue readings.

Any thoughts?

Stefan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    I just started with densitometry of my pyrocat negs and I am uncertain what gamma to aim at for visual and blue light. I intend to do silver printing only and use a Wratten 47b filter with my Macbeth TD 502 to do the blue readings.

Any thoughts?

Stefan
    Gamma or density range? Middle of the road development, I would say a gamma of 0.62. For silver printing I would want a DR of 1.00 to 1.1. to be printed on grade two paper, of course a better approach would be to test the exposure scale of your chosen paper and adjust the film density range to that paper....good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Gamma or density range? Middle of the road development, I would say a gamma of 0.62. For silver printing I would want a DR of 1.00 to 1.1. to be printed on grade two paper, of course a better approach would be to test the exposure scale of your chosen paper and adjust the film density range to that paper....good luck.
    Hi Jorge,

"Gamma or density range" Rigth know I am aiming for average gradients (G^_) but I am willing to adopt whatever method works best. I would prefer to keep things independent from a special paper as I am using several depending on the tone and response to toning I want. OTOH, who knows what will be left on the shelfs in a few years from now?

My main problem is the the marked difference between visual- and blue-densities. Should I optimize to a G^_ of 0,62 for the blue or rather visual density? For graded Paper I should watch for the blue density I guess but my main papers are VC.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    Hi Jorge,

"Gamma or density range" Rigth know I am aiming for average gradients (G^_) but I am willing to adopt whatever method works best. I would prefer to keep things independent from a special paper as I am using several depending on the tone and response to toning I want. OTOH, who knows what will be left on the shelfs in a few years from now?

My main problem is the the marked difference between visual- and blue-densities. Should I optimize to a G^_ of 0,62 for the blue or rather visual density? For graded Paper I should watch for the blue density I guess but my main papers are VC.

best

Stefan

If you are planning to use pyrocat then use the blue channel results. In reality, while I understand your desire not to get stuck on one paper, if I was using VC paper, I would then print one of the stained step tablets on it to test paper response.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin