Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,860   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rodinal Special vs. Studional

Hi

Maybe this has been asked before, but I need to get the final and definitive answer:

Is there any difference at all between Rodinal Special and Studional. As I can see it is the same stuff (same dev times etc.).
    If it is, why are Agfa selling it under two names?

greetings Morten

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems from the detailed data in the Agfa pdf files, everything about them to the last detail is the same. And being a phenidone-hydroquinone developer, there is no similarity to Rodinal. My guess (sorry to be not definitive) is that the marketing team wanted to use the famous word "Rodinal" but the more circumspect members of Agfa wanted a less ridiculous name. They couldn't agree, so they sold it under two names!

It does seem that in each market, only one is sold. Here (Australia) it's Rodinal Special. I've never tried it, but some people think it really is "Special."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    And being a phenidone-hydroquinone developer, there is no similarity to Rodinal.
    I know that, and think the name is quite wrong for this developer. I bought RS yesterday, because it is superb with Ilford Delta 100 for portraits and kid's photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Morten, Whats the difference in look between the Rodinal S and Rodinal? I've only ever used the latter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Morten, Whats the difference in look between the Rodinal S and Rodinal? I've only ever used the latter.
    Hmmm...the Special has slightly nicer skin tones. A bit more smooth than Hot Rod. The grain is also less evident. So it is a great companion in portraiture for me, although I have had a customer who asked for that distinct grain of Rodinal in the portraits.

Matter of taste and style. I love both!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting ... another to add to my must try list thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK Studional is the name for the US, Rodinal Special for Europe

They are one and the same
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    AFAIK Studional is the name for the US, Rodinal Special for Europe

They are one and the same
    Thanks. that cleared the view for me!
    Another thing is that I only have seen Rodinal Special available in 125 ml. bottles and Studional only in 1 litre bottle...is that true?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm pretty sure that Rodinal Special is also available in 1 litre bottles.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From Agfa's current web site. They say rather different things about these "two" developers.

RODINAL SPECIAL is a liquid fine-grain developer for individual contrast compensation development. Dilution is 1 +15 and the solution can be used several times.

STUDIONAL LIQUID development concentrate ensures good sensitivity utilization and constant gradation over a long processing period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin