Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,921   Posts: 1,556,567   Online: 1230

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pls, recommend (liquid) developer for T-Max 400

Hi,

Recently I bought some Kodak T-Max 400 in bulk (35mm), to try to shoot it at EI 400 and perhaps push it to EI800, or even to EI1600...
    I usually use Fotokemika Efke films - KB100 in 35mm and R100 in medium format, and always use Rodinal. For Efke shot at EI 100 the results I'm most comfortable with are Rodinal 1+50, 20 deg. Celsius (68F), developed for 10,5 to 11 minutes - first 30 sec. agitation, then 1 tank inversion and gentle "sloshing" 10 seconds every minute.

Since I've been doing a lot of 35mm shooting (got a Leica recently :-), the grain with Rodinal becomes more visible with Efke KB100 - and for TMax 400, I don't think this combo will work (as regards grain).

So, I'm looking for another developer, and was thinking about HC-110 and TMax - both in liquid form. I prefer working with liquid, avoiding mixing from powder, if possible (messy!!!).

Since availability of photo chemicals here is rather limited, I'm basically stuck with Kodak stuff and Rodinal. From what I heard, Rodinal is not particularly suited for pushing and sensitive films, so my question is which developer would you recommend for TMax 400, shot at EI 400 or pushed to max. EI 1600: HC-110 or TMax, both liquid?
    My concern is grain size and tonality (in 35mm negs), but also shelf life of stock and working solutions...

Any suggestions appreciated...

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The night class I'm currently attending (unhappily but that is another post) the instructor is a dedicated Kodak man. He recommends D-76 for our rolls of TX 400. That's what we used 2 weeks ago and my film came looking good.
    At home I am currently using Ilford's HC (concentrated premixed bottle). So far I am happy with the results on TX 400, Ilford's Delta line, FP4 & HP5.

Images
    Good Morning, Denis,

Back when the T-Max films were first introduced, the T-Max developer was not immediately available. I used HC-110B and had very satisfactory results with the film at its nominal rating. When T-Max developer arrived, I shifted over to it and have stayed with it since, for both T-Max 100 and T-Max 400, but results from the two developers are not dramatically different. From other comments posted on APUG, I gather that T-Max 400 is at least somewhat pushable in the T-Max developer, although I'm not big on trying to push film. The possible advantage of HC-110 is that works so well and so predictably with so many different types of film. Diluting it directly from the concentrate is the best way to go; the concentrate, properly stored, lasts a long time.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies so far....

I was leaning towards the HC-110, myself. It's also about 1/3 of the price of TMax, which is another factor to consider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can, get some xtol. Yes its a powder but you can push tmax to 1600 easily and still get incredibly beautiful negatives.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin